Can't go to eBay on school computers.

Discussion in 'Community' started by iQuit, Sep 15, 2005.

1. iQuit macrumors 6502a

iQuit

I am generally good about computers...I can build them and understand pretty much everything about them, HTML, and all that....but I am still not much of a hacker. I could never figure out how to get the restrictions off the school computers...can anyone help? During class we are aloud to look at sites just I can't get on eBay, gmail or anything. Anyone know how to easily bypass this?

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I think we're ethically bound NOT to help you do this... there's probably a good reason why such sites are blocked at your school.

That said, the restriction is probably not on YOUR computer, but on the gateway to the Internet. Which means there's pretty much nothing you can do about it.

3. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

Have you tried using firefox or another web browser besides IE (assumuning you're using IE)? Better yet, bring in a cd and install linux on one of the computers. :D

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

exactly. The sites blocked by my work are blocked at the gateway not on the computer. This way if I come in with my laptop I can't just get to the site.
    There is a good reason why you can't get to ebay at school. My first guess is that you should be in school learning not bidding on the latest star wars action figure.

5. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

it was star TREK and it's a freaking original! don't tell me what not to bid on!

6. iQuit thread starter macrumors 6502a

iQuit

No in computer maintenance....the last 15 minutes my teacher LETS us get on the net. And sumtimes I need to check my email or check eBay for things(not to bid/buy) but check my profile and messages. Is there a way to run firefox off of a CD?

7. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

Is there a way to download it on the computer, or is that also blocked?

8. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

C'mon... you don't need to do those things. You want to. There's an important difference. There's really no need for you to be reachable during those hours of the day when you are in school.

9. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

The computer teacher at the school where I hang out gives the students free time on the Internet on Friday's (if they finish their work) and many of them play Yahoo games, which is OK with the teacher. I've heard from a few kids that they can't go to certain other sites, but it's rarely very important to them. Sometimes teachers have the same problem with sites that are blocked centrally!

Here's a strategy that could possibly work for you: Come up with a good reason why they should allow you to go to a site you want, such as for research. Maybe you want to use gmail to ask a local scientist about your science project idea. Talk to the teacher most likely to be on your side, and ask if they will work with you to find out who makes the restrictions and what the procedures are for making exceptions for you or anyone else. Who knows... you just might get an official OK!

If you can't think of any reason they would want to let you go to a site, perhaps it's better to save for when you are off campus.

10. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

The only blocked site at my school that I frequently like to visit is NHL.com

I can get past the block by going www2.nhl.com

11. iQuit thread starter macrumors 6502a

iQuit

I've seen geeks bypass the restrictions... It is fine...just almos every site you go to it doesn't work...even google.com and yahoo.com

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Meh, who cares. I wish you could go to ebay from school.

Lots of people go to MacRumors.com during the day when they should be working, or doing schoolwork. They don't. I won't even bother judging......

13. dcv macrumors G3

ahh the kids of today... in my day we were privileged if we were allowed to play 'horace goes skiing' on the zx spectrum at lunchtime...

14. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Let's see, we've had people in trouble here for bypassing the school's filtering.

You can ask the one member that got suspended if it was worth it...

15. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I think I have a pretty good idea of how old you are now. ;)

16. dcv macrumors G3

mental note: say 'doom' or something next time...

17. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

I can get by my school's restrictions pretty easily, but I don't really need to. MacRumors is never blocked.