Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EarthDawn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
Long-eye Land, NY
Trying to use HandBrake on the movie Untraceable and when it scans the last chapter... chapter 33 it shuts down HB !!!!>.... anyone know why ???

thanks

speakerwizard

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2006
London
also, you can always download an older version of handbrake, as some updates can cause certain problems, i had the same sort of trouble today and getting the older version sorted it, whenever there is an update i often keep both. you could also use mac the rpper 1st to.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Its the copy protection on Untraceable, HB crashes on scanning the whole disk, even if you prerip it with mtr 2.6.6. Latest mtr can fix it. Alternatively so can dtox.

However, HandBrake can encode it right from the disk if you do an "Open Source Title Specific" from the file menu , you will be prompted for a specific title number to scan. Enter the main feature title number which you can get from dvd player. HB will then only scan the main feature (on Untraceable its 1 I think, or maybe 2). Anyway, this will keep HB from crashing on the full disk scan and it encodes without a problem.

Detailed info on Open Source Title Specific in HB http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic...=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=Open+Source+Title+Specific

FYI: many disks that cause HB to crash upon the initial scan can be encoded that way as much of the "cruft" intentionally mastered into the disk is bypassed.

EarthDawn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
Long-eye Land, NY
Its the copy protection on Untraceable, HB crashes on scanning the whole disk, even if you prerip it with mtr 2.6.6. Latest mtr can fix it. Alternatively so can dtox.

However, HandBrake can encode it right from the disk if you do an "Open Source Title Specific" from the file menu , you will be prompted for a specific title number to scan. Enter the main feature title number which you can get from dvd player. HB will then only scan the main feature (on Untraceable its 1 I think, or maybe 2). Anyway, this will keep HB from crashing on the full disk scan and it encodes without a problem.

Detailed info on Open Source Title Specific in HB http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic...=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=Open+Source+Title+Specific

FYI: many disks that cause HB to crash upon the initial scan can be encoded that way as much of the "cruft" intentionally mastered into the disk is bypassed.

B-E-A-utiful !!!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU !

worked like a charm :)

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Wow, man I have a stack of movies that were doing this (seems like the newer ones are doing this more often). Now I am encoding away. Does this speed up HB at the same time by select the direct title? I normally get 14-18 and I am getting 23-25FPS on my current movie.

Funny Untraceable is the movie I am doing now and was getting pissed because I wanted to encode it.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
I probably should have put it in the HB docs, but was too lazy so just posted to the forum after I added it.

As far as encoding speed, no it will not make it any faster. However scanning is quicker obviously because it only scans one title and gets the 10 previews for one title, instead of 10 previews for *each* title. But actual encoding speed is no different.

Macsterling

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2007
Dallas
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I was trying to do the same movie and it kept crashing. Even when I used mac the ripper and then used hb it still did. I changed the setting in mtr to just do the feature and finally hb took it and started to encode it.

gwerhart0800

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2008
Loveland, CO
Thank you!!!

I have been looking for a solution to the HB exit issue. About 1/2 of the DVDs I try to rip with HB have this issue. Last night I was working my way through my 007 DVDs and this "title" selection method worked. I had been going back to DVDfab whenever this happened, but I was giving up chapter markers and 5.1 audio. (I did use DVDfab to find the correct title to rip ...)

Thanks again for the tip ... :)

pchaney301

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2009
I'm having the same issues with Handbrake. Except mine is shutting off after about 10% is done. Any suggestions? I'm having problems getting that Handbrake forum opened.

DavieBoy

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2009
New Jersey

Very good work!

"You are a god among insects, don't let anyone tell you different"
- Magneto

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.