Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Original poster
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I've tried it in mplayer, VLC, quicktime, and windows media player. I can see images, but not hear sound. Here's the message I get in VLC:

main: no suitable decoder module for fourcc ` ms'.
VLC probably does not support this sound or video format.

So it seems that maybe the file is just corrupted, huh? Or are there any other players that I could try?

tpjunkie

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2002
NYC
whats the format? Try changing the extension name if its got a .mpg when it should be a .mov...occasionally that works for me, it takes some fiddling though

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Original poster
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
thanks, it was mpg, and I changed it to mov, but it didn't help. I think it's probably a lost cause since quicktime gives the message, "could not open the file because there was an error in the program."

But any other suggestions would be appreciated.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Its a Windows Media 9 created MPEG file, (aka MS MPEG). You will not be able to play it on your Mac. You must use Windows Media Player, with Windows Media 9 Frameworks, which is not available for Mac. A large number of wmv's also have this same ability.

I have also seen this attached to .mpg or .mpeg files that were incoded back before the standardation of MPEG4, back when Apple and MS were fighting for their format. The MS-MPEG4 was based on asf file format. It has the same tag as MS-MPEG.

Both of these formats use WMA to incode sounds, thats what causes the programs.

Sorry you can't get it to work.

TEG

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Original poster
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
oh, well, damn that it won't work, but thanks for explaining the difficulty. At least it makes sense now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.