Can't Homeshare with ATV2 or use remote app

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by HT Guy, Sep 30, 2010.

1. macrumors member

My ATV2 is installed and playing well. I cannot get my iMac to show up in the "computers" section of the ATV menu. Home sharing is enabled on the iMac. I have made sure that my Firewall is correctly configured. All my devices are on the same network.

I am having the same problem with the Remote app on my iPad. Neither my iMac nor my ATV2 show up on the iPad remote app. I am using the same homeshare account for all devices. I did get my iMac account to show up briefly last night, but the next time I tried to access it it was gone.

I have shut down and rebooted all devices and deleted and reloaded the remote app on the iPad.

Any suggestions?

TIA

2. macrumors 65816

WiiDSmoker

Ran into this last night, make sure you are on the latest iTunes version.

3. macrumors 65816

Mr Kram

kind of obvious, but all need to be on the same network too.

4. thread starter macrumors member

I have iTunes 10.01. I looked for updates a few moments ago and it said I had the latest version.

5. thread starter macrumors member

They are on the same Network.

6. macrumors 65816

Mr Kram

regarding the remote app, are you saying that you tried to pair both devices and the ipad can see neither of them?

7. macrumors 601

jaw04005

Are you sure you’re using your home sharing Apple ID and not some secondary Apple ID (like for the kids, etc)?

8. thread starter macrumors member

Is it correct to use your iTunes id and pw as the homeshare id and pw? If so, then I am doing this correctly.

We have 3 users on the iMac. I authorized all three users w/my id for homeshare. Their libraries show up as shared in my iTunes. It is just the remote and ATV2 I am having a problem with.

This is a bummer. Without home sharing I would have just kept using my Roku and Airport Express.

9. macrumors 6502

Homeshare has been flaky for me on my 2 ATV2's as well. I can get the library to show up, but it doesn't believe I have TV shows in my library - which I do.

I'm thinking there is some sort of bug in the current release of iTunes having to do with Homeshare.

10. thread starter macrumors member

At 8:34p.m. three iTunes libraries and my ATV2 were displayed on my iPad Remote app. I would like to know why the iPad Remote app is so inconsistant.

11. thread starter macrumors member

Okay... I just got a taste of the iPad Remote app and it was awesome. I am hoping it continues to work on a consistent basis. Also, all my other Homesharing libraries were displayed on the ATV2. Fantastic... If it can do this consistently it will be worth twice the price.

I made no changes whatsoever to all my other settings.

12. thread starter macrumors member

The video on the ATV2 looks good. However, my audio/video receiver that my video runs through has an HQV Reon upscaler which is much better than average. I am watching Kick-Ass now and it looks very good.

13. macrumors member

I'm having the same issue, tv shows not showing up at all and my only two of my Movies. Ugh on iTunes Home Share could be awesome when it worked but a lot of times it was just flaky.

14. thread starter macrumors member

I reset my router and now the iMac, ATV2 and iPad remote app are all working fabulously. I am hoping I will not have to reset the router every day.

When everything is working correctly the ATV2 really is all that and a bag of chips.