Can't import AIFF to iTunes! What to do?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by pathgeek, Jun 5, 2006.

1. pathgeek macrumors newbie

pathgeek

Trying to study for exams and recorded stuff to listen to on my iPod. File created in Audacity as an .aiff file.
    In the past, I've dragged this directly to the iTunes Library icon and it worked. Today, no. Haven't done anything to change computer or iTunes settings lately. Prefs(Imports)=Apple Loseless Encoder/Automatic.
    I get the (+) sign as if it were going into the library but can't find the file by title. Can't open it if I use "Open with.." iTunes from its desktop location either.
    So, I created a new folder in the iTunes library and drug the file into it. I can see the folder and the file. If I "get Info" I can pre"view" my file and hear the text. :rolleyes: But I can't get it to open through iTunes.

To see if this was a global problem, I tried downloading a songfile (.mp3) and opened it from the desktop into iTunes without a hitch. So iTunes will accept stuff, just not this.

Any suggestions? I sorta need this to study with. Sorta desperately.
    TIA

2. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

Hmm... Audacity doesn't export to AIFF unless you have an insider copy of it...

You can save as a .aup project, .mp3, .wav, or .ogg... but not aiff, so that's probably a good place to start with diagnosis.

3. pathgeek thread starter macrumors newbie

pathgeek

Don't have an insider copy.
    Downloaded Audacity from SourceForge some weeks ago. File options listed are: export to AIFF, MP3, OGG. Wav not listed.
    When trying to do mp3 audacity looks for some file I can't find.
    Don't know about ogg.....

4. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

Perhaps it's because I was starting with an mp3 file...

Well, have you tried using "Add to library..." from the File menu in iTunes?

Also, because iTunes uses the ID3 information stored in MP3s to organize your music, your AIFF file might just show up at the bottom of the list. You could try searching for AIFF or sorting by size since the AIFF would usually be larger...

:confused:

5. pathgeek thread starter macrumors newbie

pathgeek

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Audicity definitely exports to AIFF, and they normally import into iTunes fine... Does your Audicity Preferences window look like this?
    Picture 1.png

As there are 3 types of AIFF and 5 of WAV, some of the types of WAV wouldn't play on a PC so maybe some types of AIFF don't play on a Mac... Make sure the top one is selected.

7. pathgeek thread starter macrumors newbie

pathgeek

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll check it out tonight at home. Hope it works!

8. simplebeep macrumors member

simplebeep

Sixteen Bit PCM!

The key in the above screenshot is the setting "16 Bit PCM".

When Exporting as AIFF, click options…
    Picture 3.png

…Then set the Format to AIFF (Apple/SGI 16 bit PCM)
    Picture 6.png

I was having the same problems, and this minor change fixed it.
    Hope it works for you.

--
    Simple Beep

Shift-Option-K
    makes an pple!