Can't import movies from Canon Powershot

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by piltupso, Feb 25, 2007.

1. piltupso macrumors regular

I have a cannon powershot camera that is a couple years old and am having trouble importing the short movies it can shoot. I use iphoto and have no problems importing as long as there are no movies on the card, though it did seeem to work one time if I remeber correctly. I have borrowed a usb card reader and can bring the movies in that way no problem but would like to avoid buying another dongle for my machine. Any ideas out there that could help? Thanks.

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

This came up the other day at a relative's house. iPhoto will happily import movies from A5xx cameras, but will slurp down then ignore video clips from an S3. It seems to be a problem with iPhoto, because they can be retrieved through the Image Capture app and they play fine in QuickTime player. Those same downloaded videos, then dragged onto iPhoto, are still ignored by iPhoto.

3. Gee macrumors 65816

Try using Image CApture (in your applications folder) to get the movies off the camera...

4. piltupso thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for he help. I bought a usb card reader and that seems to take of it as well, but I will try image capture. As a note I started using a Cannon miniDV camera for some video and noticed in its instructions I must use a fire wire cable to import video on the Mac as for some reason it says the usb cable will not work. I wonder if this could be somehow related as there is no fire wire output on the still camera, the miniDV can export stills through the usb as well just not video. ??

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You don't need Firewire. Most DV cameras have this kind of restriction. USB or serial for stills, FW for DV. DV and Firewire were made for each other, but most still cameras use MJPEG, MPEG1 or MPEG4 for their movies.

Have you considered a memory card reader though? I found that my Canon camera in particular would time out during transfers with large movies, sometimes even with Image Capture. Buying a US$10 USB 2.0 flash card reader makes the transfers LOTS faster and more reliable.

B

6. spellflower macrumors regular

I have a Canon Powershot 450, and iphoto imports videos just fine. I was worried at first that it would only get the pictures, but the videos go in as well, they just end up after all the pictures on the roll. Double clicking them opens them and plays them as well. Good luck on finding a solution!