Can't install Matlab

Discussion in 'macOS' started by happyElephant, Mar 12, 2007.

1. happyElephant macrumors member

Hi,
    not sure if this is the place for my question, despite of it I'd like to ask if anybody had the experience of installing Matlab(beta version) on Intel Mac. It requires X11. The program can't find it on my PC. However when I downloaded X11 and tried to install: the message appeared saying it couldn't be installed on my computer because I had a newer version of this software. So how come it is possible that MatLab can't find it?

2. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

It's really hard to answer questions like this because we know hardly anything about the problem, and it could be almost anything. You need to figure out what version of X11 you have, figure out what the latest version is, then make sure you have the latest version installed. I know it isn't much help, but I've got the Matlab Intel beta installed and it was no trouble at all.

3. happyElephant thread starter macrumors member

Lucky you...
    When I've searched my PC I was not able to find any kind of X11 application...
    So I tried to download and install one. Unfortunatelly, the message I get during installation is that it can't be installed because I have a newer software(what "newer software"? if there isn't a trace of X11 application in "search list"&matlab is not able to find any). It looks like a vicious circle for me:)

4. ljump12 macrumors 6502

You can install X11 right off the Tiger install disk... pop it in, and install it from there.

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The MacOS X 10.4-compatible version of X11 is not available for download. You have to follow ljump12's advice.

6. happyElephant thread starter macrumors member

What I did is: I've taken Mac OS X install disc 1 and did this:

System/Installation/Packages/X11User.pkg

Everything is fine now.

Thanks everybody!

7. FrankBlack macrumors 6502

FrankBlack

Happy, are you running a power PC, or intel-based Mac? I don't think the folks at Mathworks have shipped the intel-version of Matlab yet, and it does not run under Rosetta.

8. pna macrumors 6502

The beta release being talked about here is the intel beta, and worked really well for me. In addition, Mathworks just released matlab 2007a, which has full intel support. In addition, they've finally added support for multithreaded operations, so multi-core CPUs finally get harnessed for some ops. You have to enable it under the preferences section, but once done it provides a healthy speedup for a lot of analysis I do on a daily basis. I've now completely moved from my 3.0 ghz P4 workstation to running all my analysis on my 2.0 ghz core duo macbook pro, as everything (aside from disk load times) is faster on my mbp. I'm really pleased with it.

9. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

It's a Mac... let's start calling it one.

(And don't give me that "Mac's are PC's too..." argument)