Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sunrobby

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 17, 2006
Indonesia
Hi, i want to install bootcamp on my MBP, after downloaded the boot camp assistant, i couldnt run it saying that my firmware is not updated. After reading the manual it said that i need to update my MBP's firmware. So i go to http://www.apple.com/supports/downloads to download MBP (early 2006) firmware update. I ran the updater, saying that i will need to shutdown my MBP. After that turn it up again and a progress bar will shown as the updater begun. So i shut it down. Turn it on again, and for 0.5 sec the grey screen with a progress bar appear but after that it restart again, and goes to mac os again and the firmware updater still saying that i need to shut down. I chose shut down, the same thing happen again.. The firmware updater is version 1.0.1 and mac os version is 10.4.6 .. anyone can help? :confused:

sunrobby

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 17, 2006
Indonesia
ok, now it's working.. i dont really read the manual carefully, seems that i need to hold down the power button until the light flashes repeatedly.. Im quite scared when the MBP sounds a loud beep though :p

now i wonder whats the differences between software updater/firmware updater/SMC updater? Why does this firmware updater needed is not included in the software updater. when i ran software updater, there is no update i need to download.

skipsandwichdx

macrumors regular
May 23, 2006
Firmware is software stored on a hardware device that stores hardware configuration. "Software update" refers to software on your hard drive.

Firmware updates could brick your machine if applied incorrectly (power goes out halfway through, etc.), so that's probably why they don't force them through software updates.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.