Cant Install OS X on an iMac!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pulsewidth947, Aug 18, 2005.

1. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

If someone could give me some advice it'd be wonderful :)

I got 2 x 1GHz G4 iMac (white dome one) that refuse to let me reinstall OS X (10.2) on them. I try double clicking the installer in OS X (which tells me to restart, which it does.. then loads OS X again instead of installing), I've tried holding C while starting it up (which gives me the blinking ? finder folder icon) and I've tried setting the OS X install disc as the startup volume. I've tried repairing permissions and the usual fixes.

None of the above work and its quite urgent that I get OS X reinstalled. I work for a College, with not a lot of money so upgrading to Tiger is not an option.

I also tried my Mac Minis install disc (with 10.3) which started installing, but wouldnt finish (because the hardware was not the same obviously), which was a positive sign.

Any other tricks I can try? Man if this was a PC I could just Format and reinstall from CD... ironically a lot simpler than what I'm going through now!

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

So just to clear something up, when you start up holding down C with the install disks inside the computer (CD driver preferably :p ), do you ever actually get anywhere or does it stick on the blinking question mark?

3. pulsewidth947 thread starter macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

Nah it sticks on the blinking question mark for a minute or two, then loads OS X from the hard drive as normal.

I know the disc is fine as I'm using it to restore 10.2 on another iMac as we speak!

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Zapped PRAM? Reset OF? Is there an OF password? Can you boot into SUM on these iMacs?

5. mpw Guest

I'm a novice but I can't use the install disk from my iMac with my iBook, is the disk you're using OEM or retail licence? Would that make a difference?

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I don't remember with Jaguar. AFAIR, it was much more 'forgiving' then later releases.
    However, froggy, these are all legal licenses, right? ;)

7. pulsewidth947 thread starter macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

Actually they are. If I wasnt so moral, I'd be running Tiger on all these iMacs (or at least panther) :)

The discs are the ones that came with the iMacs. They are 10.1.4 installers, then I have a unlimited upgrade license to 10.2 (with yet another disc). In fact the only reason I tried my Mini's disc was to see if I could get it to respond to any CD I put in.

I think I Zapped PRAM - Command-Option-P-R (did the 2 start up things), i held Shift and it would only let me boot from the internal drive. Gonna try "Command-Option-O-F" and those reset thingys. Then my last hope is using the External DVD rom with the CD in. Though that probably aint gonna work.

What the hell is SUM?!

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Single User Mode.

So this isn't a FULL installer of Jaguar, it's an Upgrade CD? You cannot boot from an Upgrade CD.

I think you meant Option?

9. pulsewidth947 thread starter macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

The install disc is 10.1.4, which is what I'm trying, and failing with. The Jaguar is a 2 disc updater, which I know wont boot :)

The problem is, I can boot into any other CD fine with C - I just tried the hardware test disc (which helpfully told me it didnt support this computer.. :mad: )

Probably did mean option.

I have actually booted with the upgrade disc before - last week when reinstalling the software on some iMac DVs. It boots into it fine, then tells you you've installed a version greater than what you are trying to upgrade to (if that makes any sense).

This is exactly why I intend to quit working with computers in a couple of years. It doesnt matter if its a PC or a Mac - they just randomly decide to not do what you ask of them. Which in theory shouldnt happen, but it does happen. Always at the worse possible time!

10. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

OK, this wasn't clear (at all) from your first post..

So now I'm totally confused, can you start over with EXACTLY what you're trying to do?

Boot from 10.1.4, erase and resinstall (since 10.1 didn't have an Archive & Install option), then use the 10.2 updaters to update from 10.1.x to 10.2.x? And it's failing in the booting from 10.1.x?

Have you tried booting into 10.1.x on a known 'good' iMac, put the naughty one(s) in target mode, hooked them up with firewire cables, and attempted to install 10.1.x onto the 'naughtybox' that way?

11. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If the version number of the install disk is older than the machines, it won't work.

The machines will only boot from an OS that is newer than the OS that came with the machine.

Basically a recently updated machine will not boot the Tiger retail package.

12. pulsewidth947 thread starter macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

Sorry. Its too hot to think clearly :D

Mmkay, i'll do it in Windows terms as its easier. I need to Format my iMac, then Reinstall 10.2.8. In order to do this I need to wipe the hard disk, then install 10.1.4 (which is the disk that came with the iMac), then user the Jaguar updater disc to go from 10.1 > 10.2. Finally download the updates from Apple to get to 10.2.8.

It wont load the boot on the 10.1.4 disc, giving the blinking question mark, while 10.2.8 is currently installed. This isnt a software issue as an identical iMac, loads the 10.1.4 disc fine to erase and install.

I havent. So When installing on the nice iMac, when it comes to the install location menu, I can select the naughtybox from that menu? Will it just label it as an external fw disk?

Thats not strictly true with install disks. As I detailed, they work fine. But normally if I just put in the upgrade disc, then it boots to it then tells you you cant upgrade to 10.2 if you have 10.2.8 installed (fair enough!)

13. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Yes, it should.

14. pulsewidth947 thread starter macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

Marvellous.. Thanks guys.. I'll try that tomorrow, hopefully it'll be a bit cooler. Heat + stress + computers + quitting smoking = :eek:

15. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Good luck with it!

16. pulsewidth947 thread starter macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

Yeah i think it'll be monday before I can do this.. had some pat testing to do. I reckon this will work though. Man I wish we could order a Panther upgrade. I dont think the iMac DVs will be up to running Tiger (128mb ram!) but I miss Expose when its not there!