Cant install panther from external lacie drive

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by gustav, Oct 28, 2004.

1. gustav macrumors newbie

Im trying to install 10.3 on my power book. The internal drive is damaged, so Im trying to do it from an external drive. A brand new Lacie dvd/rw, the porsche model.
    Ive followed all the prompts and instructions. But whenever I restart to begin the installation it just starts up 10.2 again

Anybody know how I can do this?

2. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

Try holding down the "option" key when it restarts. This should let you choose which drive to boot to. Once you're in Panther, you should be able to use the Startup Disk control panel to make it permanent.
    Let us know if that works...

Lee Tom

3. 7on macrumors 601

7on

fixed''

anyway, doing what LeeTom has said will work, just don't set the CD to be the default bootup. He thinks you mean External FW HDD drive.

4. gustav thread starter macrumors newbie

Ooops, yes 7on. I meant the optical drive. Holding down "option" didnt work though. It gave me the grey ø symbol when it restarted.

Im starting to think maybe there might be something wong with the Lacie drive. Its this one http://lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10134

Thanks guys