Can't install Panther on my Clamshell...Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by t300, Mar 4, 2005.

1. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

Hello! I have a Graphite 300mhz iBook with 64mb ram that is running on Mac OS 9.0.2 . I am trying to upgrade it all the way to Panther, even though I know of my limited memory. My problem is that I will put in the 1st Panther CD and it will come up immediately. I will double click the installer and then the little picture comes up saying to restart my Mac to install X. I will press it and then it just restarts and ends up back to the 9 desktop with the OS X CD finder window up. So...Nothing. I have tried starting the CD up by holding "C" and it just gives me the little Mac with the Question mark for a few seconds and then boots to the 9 desktop. Now, I don't have 9.1 or higher obviously, and I know there is a firmware update, but that wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that the Panther disc won't come up? I even tried using my Powerbook discs, but those don't even show up! (Yes, I know you are not licensed to use those on other computers, just a test) So what now? Anyone care to take a shot?

2. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

Check the minimum specs for running Panther. I bet you have to have 128megs of ram. I know you have to have a usb port. So try to get more ram in that thing. Even IF you got it to load - it would be almost unusable.

kyle

3. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Panther requires a USB port built-in and also 128 MB of RAM minimum.

4. t300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

t300

Okay, USB port, check...I guess I must get some more RAM now, but really...Wouldn't the installer load anyway and then tell me it couldn't install? No?

5. hotwire132002 macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

Just a thought--did you try holding the C key while booting (to boot from CD?) That might allow the installer to at least load, though as others have mentioned, your low RAM could be a problem for actually installing.

6. t300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

t300

Thanks, but yeah, I already tried this, as stated in my original post. I just don't want to get more RAM and find out that that is not the sole problem. Now I am searching for Clamshell RAM. Please feel free to PM me if anyone has any for sale! Thanks!

7. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

It might not be loading the installer because of RAM requirements. Saves you the hassle, I guess.

8. hotwire132002 macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

Oops, missed that! Well, good luck getting the install working!

9. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

OS X is going to run so poorly on that machine that I would recommend putting the money you would spend on the extra RAM on a new machine.

10. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Yea, the problem is most definitely the lack of RAM. I installed Panther on my blueberry clamshell, 300MHz, with 192MB RAM, and it worked just fine. Check eBay for the RAM, it's pretty old so you should be able to find it for cheap. Good luck!

11. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

I've run Panther Server on my old 500Mhz iBook with only 64mb RAM. It wasn't on purpose- the machine wouldn't recognize a RAM stick I put it- but it did run.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the Firmware update might be necessary, too.

Also, do you have OS X 10.1? You could run that. I do on my original blueberry iBook and it's quite usable :)

12. Winstonp macrumors 6502a

Winstonp

ram

I had the same problem on my clamshell. With 64 meg it wouldn NOT install, so i tacked on a 128 meg and it worked fine.

(by fine, I mean it was slower than old people having sex)