Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Sorry if this is in the wrong section, but since it's about dual booting I figured it was the closest.

So I have been trying to install Ubuntu 11.04 on my MBP. This is a new area for me and I am not completely confident that I am doing it right. I have already made a separate 30GB partition that I want it to be installed on. The problem is that EVERY time I boot to the CD and choose "Install Ubuntu," it goes to a black screen with a blinking white line. At first I thought it just needed a few minutes, but I have left it sitting for 30 minutes and it hasn't done anything.

I thought it might be a problem with just installing it. So I chose "Try Ubuntu without installing" and it did the exact same thing. Another thought I had is that it might be the CD, so I burned a new one and I am still getting the same problem.

Does anybody know what is going on and why it won't work?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Sounds like the Ubuntu installer is crashing on your hardware - that's the only reason I can think of that would cause that behavior.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.