can't live without exposé

Discussion in 'macOS' started by exeterbohemian, Mar 23, 2006.

1. exeterbohemian macrumors regular

i'm sure this has been said about a thousand times before, but i really feel the need to mention it. i'm on a windows machine right now (i know...) and for about the tenth time have tried to hit the right shift key (my exposé key on my powerbook) to no avail. i guess you don't really realize how good you have it in os x till you try computing without it...

2. jkballer23 macrumors member

yeah, I have my bottom left corner as a hot corner for expose on my powerbook and I sometimes find myself moving my mouse to the bottom left corner on my windows destop resulting in nothing.

3. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

Yeah, I have to deal with some older OS X versions (as far back as 10.1) and really notice when Expose is gone.

4. ahunter3 macrumors 6502

Each to their own.

I tried allowing the Dock to run (necessary for Exposé) for about 3 weeks on my new 17" PB running Tiger, but the annoyances of the Dock, even instructed to hide itself and set to the smallest size available, outweighted the benefits of exposé, and so I reverted to form and nuked the Dock (moved it out of CoreServices so it doesn't do a Lazarus number and resurrect whenever killed, and then added a LaunchDock / KillDock combo to StartupItems), and with no Dock I'm without exposé. In all honesty I just don't miss it, or even notice that it is gone.

5. Xavier macrumors 68020

I use exposé everyday, and it is incredibly handy.

Thanks Apple for coming up with new ideas that make everything just a little bit easier :).

6. G99 macrumors 6502

G99

Yeah, I use expose really often, on os x, but, when I use windows at school, I just feel claustrophobic without it!

7. jruc4871 macrumors regular

I use expose CONSTANTLY on my Mac at home (i used the "third button" of my logitech mouse scroll wheel to activate).

That and bottom right hot corner to show desktop.

I'm always longing after both of these features on my office windows machine.

It's very similar to what happens to me when i rent a car. always trying to step on that non-existant clutch.

8. JasonGough macrumors regular

JasonGough

yeah me too, when i'm at work on their PCs i keep squeezing the sides of the mouse to no avail!

9. wasimyaqoob macrumors 6502a

Yeah, its just such a unique and amazing feature.

10. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

Ya I just can't use a pc anymore or even anything below 10.3. I'm just that dependant on it. My mouse scroll wheel is set to use exposé whenever pressed now. Really handy.

11. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

I love expose, and i love hot corners. Makes it much easier for me to switch between LOTS of stuff. Top left corner for windows within an app, and bottom right for all apps. I can switch between multiple safari pages in a snap!

12. Saluki Alex macrumors 6502

When I was planning on switching, I saw exposé as something I'd never use. But since getting my MBP, I use it all the time (just a squeeze of my mighty mouse).

13. terriyaki macrumors 6502a

I have my top left and bottom right corners set to show all windows while top right is show desktop. I catch myself flinging the mouse to those corners on my PC all the time.

:(

14. TheMasin9 macrumors 6502a

TheMasin9

expose

i agree, its a great feature, and it is a royal pain in the butt to find a similar feature/3rd party app for windoze....

15. steelphantom macrumors 6502a

steelphantom

I think Exposé is much more valuable on OS X than it would be on Windows. The taskbar combined with alt-tab on Windows pretty much have the same functionality as Exposé, in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, Exposé is a great feature, but I doubt it would add much to the Windows environment.

16. in2themystik2 macrumors member

I do the exact same thing. I love this feature and use it constantly! It's probably one of my favorite things about OSX so far!

17. bense27 macrumors regular

I tend to use it more and more and I am really getting to like it

18. MattyMac macrumors 68000

MattyMac

wow apple is great...as I Love Expose and always use it, I wasn't aware of being able to set the corners to activate it. Ive just changed the settings and its amazing. Dont make fun! Im relatively New to macs....sort of....6 months.

I guess I havent played with everything yet...shame on me!

19. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

How I love exposé!

Not a day goes by that I don't use it. :)

20. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Its amazing how many features that there are built right into Mac OS X. Just when you thought that you knew all of them, another one appears. :)

21. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

http://www.otakusoftware.com/topdesk/

Go grab a copy and toss it on there if you can. Just as good :cool:

22. lanray macrumors regular

best things since sliced pie, for sure. Use it very often.

23. ethen macrumors regular

expose is what i use as my taskbar replacement when i switch from windows, i got it assigned to my MX1000 mouse side button, boy, i dont think i can live wihtout it after getting used to using it