Cant locate external hard drive...

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by SasyBabe, Nov 11, 2004.

1. SasyBabe macrumors member

SasyBabe

I just bought a 160g external hard drive for my Powerbook G4... I pull it in and nothing... I dont know how to locate this drive... please help! :confused:

2. lucius macrumors member

The drives don't come formatted so they won't mount as usable drives straight away. I can't remember what I need with my Lacie external drive. Have you tried going into the disk utility application, to see if it crops up there as a drive you can format or something?

3. SasyBabe thread starter macrumors member

SasyBabe

I did go to disk utility and I do not see my external drive at all...

4. pncc macrumors regular

Details needed here:

-What brand drive?
    -What interface (Firewire 400, 800; USB 2)?
    -Does it have AC power or self powered??
    -> Does it power up?
    -Can you verify that the port (FireWire or USB) works using another drive?

5. SasyBabe thread starter macrumors member

SasyBabe

--The brand is Seagate
    --i changed it to the 400 firewire port
    --AC power
    --does it power up??? How would i know that?
    --No I can not verify that the port works using another drive but I have switched around to all my ports.. trying to see if anything happens... nothing... I have a mouse hooked up to my USB so I know that port works so I connected the drive to that and still nothing.

6. sgarringer macrumors regular

do you hear it spinning?

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Select "About this Mac" from the Apple menu, then click on "More Info." This will open the System Profiler. Under "contents" select "Firewire" and look for the results posted in the Firewire Device Tree window. This will tell you whether the drive interface is being recognized by the Mac. If it's missing, chances are you either have a bad interface in the drive enclosure or a bad cable.

8. SasyBabe thread starter macrumors member

SasyBabe

I have tried using all of my ports and none of them can locate my external drive. I have also used different cables too...
    I DO NOT hear anything from the external drive at all.

BTW... I am using Jaguar not Panther.

Any help would be GREAT! :)

9. SasyBabe thread starter macrumors member

SasyBabe

I just hooked up my external hard drive to my PC and it located the drive in seconds... so i know the drive isnt broken...and the cables are fine too.. What could be wrong with my Powerbook???????????? :confused: :confused:

10. sgarringer macrumors regular

external hard drives are usually somewhat audiable (at least the ones I've heard) so if you don't hear any noise from the drive chances are its either not getting power or something internally is bad.

try plugging the power brick into another AC outlet and see if you then hear it "whir" up. It should at least do that when first powered up. If not, you may want to exchange it as it sounds defective.

11. SasyBabe thread starter macrumors member

SasyBabe

I heard people getting external hard drives to work using Panther but I have not heard anyone using Jaguar even using one. Do you think that Jaguar just has the issues? I just dont see how the hard drive is defective when another computer (yes, PC) can see this drive and my Powerbook can not. Doesnt that show that the drive works and the Powerbook is not locating it? :confused:

12. sgarringer macrumors regular

probably. you're sure the drive is formatted macintosh though?