Can't log in after Software Updates

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by DVDSP, Apr 5, 2004.

1. DVDSP macrumors regular

I booted up this morning and Software Update popped up with 3 available updates. I don't remember exactly what they were as far as version numbers go but I think they were: DVD Studio Pro 2.0.5, iPhoto 4.0.1 and a Security Update.

I ran SU and then restarted. Now I can't get passed the log in screen. After I type my password I can hear the HD working some but that's as far as I get.

I reset PRAM and in Open Firmware I reset-nvram and reset-all but still nothing.

Dual 800 MHz G4, OS 10.2.x

Any ideas?

Thanks,

John

2. KershMan macrumors 6502

I don't have CDs with me at work to verify, but I believe you can boot to the Install CD and change passwords there. Should be under Utilities, like how you access Disk Utility from the Install CD.

3. DVDSP thread starter macrumors regular

It accepts my password and says "Logging in..." but that's as far as it gets. It doesn't seem like I need to change the password. I'll give that a try though...

I pulled out the install CDs and ran Disk Utility anyway. Repaired permissions and verified the HD. Everything OK. Still won't log in.

It just sits there, with the little aqua barber shop stripe bar going and going.

4. DVDSP thread starter macrumors regular

Still no luck

I reset the password but I'm getting no further. I'm considering installing Panther in the hopes that it will correct whatever became flawed during the Software Update, although, I'm not sure that will actually help.

Any more suggestions or comments on upgrading? (I already have Panther installed on another computer)

Thanks again,