Can't make a .dmg of my HDD, please help.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by agentphish, Jun 5, 2005.

1. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

so i am trying to use disk utility to make a .dmg file of my internal hdd on my pb15 to my external 120gb FW drive.

I select a name for the image then i select my destination (my external) then I press ok, then it begins to prepare to make the .dmg and then it almost immediately pops up the error "Unable to create 'disk0.dmg" Resource busy."

WTF DOES THAT MEAN. Neither of my drives are doing anything. I dont have anything running except Finder, Dashboard and Launchbar.

The reason i am taking this route is because a program like SuperDuper will only copy the files, from my experience w/ it. What i'd like to do is make a full backup of EVERYTHING on the drive, then be able to restore it like you can w/ Symantec Ghost or Acronis TrueImage on the PC, if there is a problem, a friend told me that making a .dmg of it all would accomplish that. Please correct me if I am wrong!

Suggestions/Fixes please!

Thanks

2. reh macrumors 6502a

I've never tried it, but I'm assuming you can't make a dmg of a drive that is mounted. Perhaps try booting to your OS X CD and use disk utility off of it.

3. agentphish thread starter macrumors 65816

agentphish

Good call. I'll try that. Friend didn't mention that step.

Thanks

4. agentphish thread starter macrumors 65816

agentphish

CCC doesnt work with Tiger, unless they came out w/ a new version lately, but all I have heard is that it doesnt.

5. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

How about SuperDuper ?

6. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

I just booted my friends powerbook in FW Target mode, selected it as my start-up disk, restarted (booting from his powerbook's HD now), and made a disk image of my disk. Worked fine, but took forever!

Thanks for the idea, btw!, great restore point system!