Can't Mount .dmg Files!

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Nermal, Dec 4, 2003.

1. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I got my new G4 today, with 10.3.1. But I can't mount any .dmg files. When I try to mount them, I get error -536870208. I have tried multiple images from different sources, and have tried mounting with Disk Utility rather than just using the Finder. Anyone know why it's not working?

2. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I had a look around and read somewhere that this problem can happen if you receive 10.3 preinstalled on your Mac, and then upgrade to 10.3.1 immediately, without mounting an image in between. This is what I've done, I only received the computer today, and I immediately installed the 10.3.1 update.

I'm reinstalling 10.3 from the DVD (archive and install), then I'll try mounting an image. If it works, then I'll install the 10.3.1 update again and see what happens.

Side note: The keyboard on this Dell I'm using (while I wait for the install) is a nightmare!

3. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I've reinstalled 10.3 and now they're mounting prefectly. It's also fixed a problem I was having with audio CDs. Now I'm going to be brave and reinstall the 10.3.1 update.

Edit: It's working fine wih 10.3.1 :)

4. marano macrumors member

marano

I had the exact same problem the other day, it took me some time but I figured out how to fix it without reinstalling 10.3 - Just download the 10.3.1 update from Apple's site, Open up Disk Utility in Applications -> Utilities and burn the 10.3.1 update dmg file to CD, pop back in the CD run the 10.3.1 update again and all should be well

5. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Oh well, it's working now.

Apparently there's a plist or something that gets created by 10.3's version of Disk Utility, but 10.3.1 assumes that the file already exists, and fails if it doesn't.

The "normal" 10.3 installer will create the file, but apparently a preinstalled copy of Panther does not contain the file, which causes the problem. Mounting an image causes the file to be created.

I suppose there's a copy of it in the 10.3.1 update, but for some reason it doesn't get installed when you update a preinstalled copy of 10.3.