Can't mount ipod

Discussion in 'iPod' started by toothpaste, Nov 20, 2005.

1. toothpaste macrumors 6502

Last night I used Podutil 2.7.1 with a 4g 40gb windows formatted ipod. My brother wanted me to back up his music off of his ipod. We installed Podutil on my Powermac 2.5, and proceeded to set some preferences and destination folder for the backup. Since we never used the app before, we wanted to do a test run to see how this app behaves. So we started a transfer of 1683 files, it seemed slow, so we canceled the transfer. When we tried to transfer the music the second time, podutil crashed. :( My problem begins.:( I can not able to mount the ipod on my desktop (I'm running os x 10.3.9) nor does itunes recognize the ipod. I have also tried to use disk utility as well as diskwarrior. Disk utility doesn't come up with the ipod, diskwarrior tells me that the file format is unknow and I can't graph or rebuild. I'm stumped here as I am somewhat a new Mac OS X user.

I have tried on a windows 2000 machine as well. "do not disconnect" is displayed. I can see the ipod as a removable drive in windows explorer. But when I try to click or right-click on the drive I get "..device i/o error.." itunes does not recognize the ipod, ipodagent doesn't see it either. Yet in the system tray Start/Stop USB device, the ipod shows up there. I have just unplugged the ipod and get the windows error of not properly disconnect peripherals.

The ipod itself

Songs 0
    Capacity 37.1 gb
    Available 12.6 gb
    Version 3.1
    format windows.

As you can see, the music is there. But if I can't mount it, how am I supposed to get the music off? I can't use updater (i tried and got unable to find ipod error). I have tried all the USB and firewire ports on my Mac with my ipod and it works fine, so I know my cables and ports work fine. I need some serious help. The ipod has music that is not replaceable.

Thank you for any help you can give me.:)

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Try resetting it by holding down the middle button and the top of the click wheel, assuming you haven't tried this already. :)

3. toothpaste thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok an update. I have plugged the ipod into my laptop (windows 2000) at work. I was forced to reboot as windows found new hardware (the ipod). Upon booting into windows 2000, a disk scan was performed and errors were found on the e:/ (ipod). Once disk scan finished I was able to log into windows and then able to access the ipod. View hidden files and folder revealed the music folder to me, however the music folders F00-F.. are empty.:confused: The about me section of the ipod still states 0 sonngs but has 25gb of used space. I know the music is there. So as you can see, I have made progress. I can access the ipod as a drive, what now??:confused: :(

4. toothpaste thread starter macrumors 6502

Another update. I have searched high and low, and have found some interesting software. I will give more updates as I try them at home on my Mac. I have found some windows based software but have not tried them on my work laptop. I'm hoping and wish me luck that one of these apps will let me recover the music.

5. toothpaste thread starter macrumors 6502

PodSalvage to the rescue. This program is nice, it recorded the music for me. Upon reading different reviews for this app, I tried and have had somewhat decent success. I am still unable to determine how to retrieve the ID3 info for the songs, so all the tracks are numbered. No title, artist, album, nothing.:confused: Someone out there know how to do this? Help me out:D