Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

btgordon

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
Hey Guys-

I have had my MBP for about two days, and today while using it, inexplicably, all my powerpc applications stopped working. I first noticed this issue when I tried to run office after I installed it, but now I can't open any PPC app (VLC, Mactheripper, etc.). I have tried repairing permissions, but to no avail. Any help would be very greatly appreciated.

What happens when I try to run them is they bounce for half a bounce or not at all in the dock, and then do not run.

Thanks!

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
You didn't happen to run Monolingual to remove unneeded languages and free up hard drive space, did you?

btgordon

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
I did use monolingual! And these problems happened right after I restarted after doing that!
Is there a way to do a "repair" installation from the CD?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
If you left the default settings in the Architecture pane of Monolingual (as it appears you did), you have completely borked Rosetta, and the only remedy is to do an Archive and Install of OS X.

It's mentioned in the Monolingual FAQ, but in my opinion they don't do nearly enough to keep people from doing this to their systems (like turning the Architectures tick boxes off by default for Intel machines, perhaps?)...it happens all the time.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
When you reinstall, select Customise and tell it not to install the languages you don't need. That way, you won't need to run Monolingual at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.