Can't open Screensaver tab in System Prefs

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Zwhaler, Oct 21, 2006.

1. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

For some reason I can't open the screensaver tab in system preferences. As soon as I open Sys Prefs closes and tells me there's an error and to report to apple. Any ideas on a fix? Btw, it just recently started doing this (10 minutes ago) I was messing with it, closed it, went to mess with it again, and now it crashes.

2. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

verify and repair permissions, and if that doesn't fix it, try resetting the PRAM

it's probably just a bad preference file...

3. Zwhaler thread starter macrumors 603

Zwhaler

4. Zwhaler thread starter macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Uhh now its acting up again. Same problem. The only way I get it to work, is when it crashes, I click reopen, then it crashes again, I click try again, and then it works. But I changed the screensaver to a different one, and when I exit and try it it is stuck on the old screensaver.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

While System Preferences is closed, try dragging com.apple.systempreferences.plist from the Preferences folder to your Desktop. :)

6. Zwhaler thread starter macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Nope, still no luck. I noticed though that when I dropped that file to the desktop, it created another one in the preferences folder, with the same name too. Heres another thing: when close system prefs after getting it work (reopen,reopen,tryagain) it asks me is I want to save changes I have made to the application. It says: you have changed the settings - use original or use new.

:confused:

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, it creates a new default version of the PLIST file. When you reopen a crashed app (like System Preferences) it does the same thing. That dialogue box is asking whether you want to keep your original PLIST file or use the new default file that it has created. It's bizarre that manually recreating the default PLIST doesn't seem to help though. This implies there's a corruption in System Preferences somewhere...

Okay, go to the ByHost folder in your Preferences folder. Find everything that starts with com.apple.screensaver and drag them to the Desktop. Now, restart your machine and see how it goes. :)

8. Zwhaler thread starter macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Well, I have two ByHost folders. One has two items (both com.apple.screensaver) and the other folder has 13 items, and two or three of the items are com.apple.screensaver. What should I do?

Cool, I just noticed that I'm a 6502 :)

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If in doubt, drag them all to the Desktop. However, I reckon it'll be the ByHost folder in the Home folder's Preferences that is causing this grief. If you want to find out for sure, before removing any files (remember these are safe to remove, they're just preference files), then create a new user account and see if the problem carries over. If it doesn't, then the problem certainly lies within the ByHost folder in your Home folder's Preferences. :)

10. Zwhaler thread starter macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Hey! It fixed it. Awesome. Two things though: 1. What do I do with those files that are now on my desktop (the com.apple.screensaver ones) do I delete them? 2. My mouse is laggy. Don't ask my why, but when I move the cursor around, it is laggy. Ill check system prefs but it is weird because I don't see how it relates to screensaver preferences :confused:

11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

The mouse started lagging after removing these files? It should be safe to delete these files. They just store some basic information about your customised screensavers. They're not related to your mouse though. Have you restarted the machine? :)

12. Zwhaler thread starter macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Yes as of now my machine has been restarted and I just deleted the files on my desktop. The mouse has been laggy since I restarted the computer. Should I re-restart? I'm curious about this one. It seems one problem leads to another.

13. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

yeah
    you can delete them know.
    and i dont know about the mosue
    go to system prefs and you can change the speed, it might have reset it to default.

14. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, do as fivetoadsloth said. I can't imagine why it would have been reset though, if that is even what happened. Is the computer under heavy use? :confused:

15. Zwhaler thread starter macrumors 603

Zwhaler

No the computer is under normal use, just internet. iStatPro widget says i'm using about 15% of my CPU, and about 150 mb of RAM. How do I reset the mouse? It's a bluetooth mighty mouse, and the battery is full.

16. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

mouse is prolly laggy because when you trashed the system prefs, you trashed the mouse prefs as well. Just go and reset them and you should be fine.

17. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I think beatsme is right, as usual. In System Preferences, under the Mouse & Keyboard pane, you can change the mouse sensitivity in Tracking Speed. Does fiddling with this help? :)

18. Zwhaler thread starter macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Sorry guys im new to macs how do I go about resetting

19. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You don't want to reset it, it has already been reset. Sorry, that was my fault for getting you to trash the System Preferences PLIST. Just readjust the Tracking Speed to your liking in System Preferences. :)

20. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

open system preferences
    keybaord and mouse
    mouse
    and change the tracking speed to whatever you prefer

21. Zwhaler thread starter macrumors 603

Zwhaler

No the tracking speed is not the problem. It is already on full, but the cursor itself is a little laggy. Picture yourself walking casually, then picture yourself walking frame by frame. That is what the cursor is doing. It literally is moving frame by frame. Is isn't dead slow, but it takes some doing to maneuver it around the page.

22. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

hmm. mad jew will probably know better than me but could it be a bluetooth issue? i know the bluetooth mighty mouse has had numerous issues but im not so sure. definatly wierd...

23. Zwhaler thread starter macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Hey I just restarted the computer and it works fine. But one more thing, I have my tracking speed on as high as it could go, and it moves at normal speed. Not at all fast, but not really slow. When you set your tracking speed on full, does the cursor blaze around the screen because it seems like my speed (full) isn't fast at all and that there should be an option to make it go faster.

24. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

hm, make sure it is the tracking speed under the mouse options at the top not under the trackpad. the trackpad one wont effect the speed at all, and glad a restart worked.

25. Zwhaler thread starter macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Thanks guys, everythings fixed! One final (and off topic) question. Since I can have an avatar, I found one that I like, but I was wondering if I can resize it in iPhoto, because it is too big. If not, do you know a program that I can download that allows me to?