cant pay for it now..is there a way?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by OrangeCuse44, Oct 25, 2006.

1. OrangeCuse44 macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

Im tired of my Dell sucking in everyway because of windows so i want to convert. I really want a macbook pro (the first base model in the online apple store) but im currently a poor student. I asked about the financing possibilities and saw about the apple credit (90 days without paying anything) and the buy now, pay later (interest rate is insane, 18%, but not exactly sure the deal with that, if anyone knows or used it, id appreciate a little info about it). Bottom line is im a senior and dont want to work during my last year, so i was wondering if there was any outlet i could buy a MBP from and perhaps pay in a year when i start my full time job? Probably a pipe dream, but any help is greatly appreciated. Id take any suggestions, thanks.

PS - i dont want to just ask my parents for money either..

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

There are plenty of other ways for a student to wrack up a debt. As brilliant as Macs are, it's probably not worth it. Save for it and buy it without taking out a loan. If you really work for it, you'll probably love the machine even more. :)

3. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

The only way to buy without paying now is through credit. No matter what, no company is going to be like "Here is a $2k laptop, free for a year.. don't worry about payments - whenever is good for you." :rolleyes:

4. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

I think you should wait until you start working and have cash flow, plus get other things in line first; car, apt, etc.

The best way would be to pay it upfront. Then you don't have to deal with high interest rates, etc.

Even if you think you are guaranteed a job now, don't do it. That can always change. Just hold out with the Dell and one day you will have an Apple.

5. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Look, you already have a working laptop. Whether it "sucks" or not is not a major issue. No matter what financing option you choose you'll end up paying more than you would have by just waiting it out and buying once you have the money.

6. OrangeCuse44 thread starter macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

everything is set in stone, im starting my job in mid september next year, car is taken care of...i really appreciate the "fatherly" advice, but i guess there is no way then huh

7. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

There are ways, but they're all pretty stupid- credit card debt, personal loans, etc.. Just wait it out.

8. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

As a college student, you probably don't have much of a credit history built up yet. Consequently, anybody who will help you with financing is going to charge an arm and leg for it...not worth it IMO.

9. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Get a job? I am a junior in uni I have an apartment, no car since I commute by bike. I also have a job and I was able to buy a Mac Pro and 23" ACD outright.

I never really knew how great that felt until I read this thread. I don't have to pay more just to own it, you know?

You say the job is set in stone for mid september of next year, that is a long time. The company could go out of business for all you know. Not to be pessimistic, just realistic.

Work a little bit, and save what you get since you obviously don't need a job so you can put that money right in the bank. Then buy what you want, by that time there will be a better computer out and you will feel good knowing you own it with no ties.

10. OrangeCuse44 thread starter macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

im working for the largest accounting firm in the world...they arent going out of business...but no point in continuing this thread

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I think you need to get a job and earn the money. If you want to be free from working this year then you will get your mac next year when you actually have a job. I love how every student is a poor student. I'm a student and I am far from poor. But I guess that is what happens when I work for what I want instead of asking someone to discount or give for free because I'm a poor student. I hope there is a program like this and I hope you find it, but please...you're poor because you choose to be which means you also choose to have a dell that still sucks as you say.
    I would say if you have to have something that doesn't suck then I would do the Apple credit and work my ass off to pay it off asap so you're not paying $1000 more for something.

12. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

You coooooould take out a student loan to cover the cost of the machine, or at least help you out with the cost, if you aren't already maxed out. Check with the financial aid office to see if you can still get a loan for this semester, or perhaps next.

13. jamesi macrumors 6502a

jamesi

if you really were a poor college student then you wouldnt be asking this

14. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Since you don't have much of a credit rating, consumer credit would be at a high (18% - 28%) interest rate. You REALLY don't want to start off in the hole at that type of rate.

Your best bet would be to go to the bank or credit union where your parents or trusted relative(s) do business, and take out a line of credit co-signed and secured by the parent/relative. This will get you the lowest possible rate.

Before doing this, however, assess how you are going to make the monthly payments. You must make them in full and on time. If you don't have any income or cash flow now to make the payments, then perhaps it is appropriate for you to ask your parents to buy it and you'll pay them from your first paychecks next year.

15. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

No fatherly advice here, I'm all for the reckless, and other people being in debt is good for the economy (I think).

I would recommend, though, is selling everything that you don't need thats not nailed down. All the old windows games you don't play/won't play anymore, that pos dell, any windows perhips you won't need, anything/everything.

you'd be surprised how much scratch you can come up with. then the difference between what you have/what you need to pay for the mbp won't seem so huge compared to the price of the mbp alone. and maybe earning the extra 700-1100 will seem like the better idea than taking out a loan. jesus fatherly advice, thats it for me.

16. kgarchar macrumors 6502

I'd say the phrase "I'm a poor highschool/college student" is used somewhat loosely. What most people mean when they say it,(at least around here) is..."I'm a highschool/college student who makes some money, but mom and dad don't give me jack ****."

17. jamesi macrumors 6502a

jamesi

yes, i think it is a term used too loosely. the best part about his/her post was that they want to be "free" from working this year. cough.