Can't Physically Connect Dual Displays To GeForce 7800 GT

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by crees!, Feb 20, 2006.

1. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

I have a friend who just bought a suped-up 2.5 PPC Quad with a GeForce 7800 GT graphics card installed. She had an old CRT hooked up with the Apple DVI to VGA Display Adapter. So yesterday I went over to hook up a 20" Cinema Display and come to find out the dual-DVI ports on the card are too close together to plug both in. Call me crazy but I tried to connect both at the same time and one would pop out because there wasn't enough room. I can't even get them both seated. You need like an extra 1/4" spacing to plug the 2nd display in. It doesn't matter which port is connected first, they both just don't fit at the same time.

Has anyone heard of this problem with this particular card?

2. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Sorry I can't help you, but when I first saw pictures of that card, the DVI ports looked pretty darn close together and I wondered the same thing...

Compare this:
    [​IMG]

to the 7800 GT:
    [​IMG]

Don't they just LOOK too close together? o_O

I know that's not a good comparison, but there's gotta be some reason they stick the S-Video between them.

3. crees! thread starter macrumors 68000

crees!

Yep, that's exactly the one there. It looks tight but when you get behind it and try to connect two, you can't. I told her to call AppleCare and ask about it. Still interested if anyone has this setup and if they were successfull (or not) in getting two displays hooked up.

4. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

I have read a review somewhere, they tried the same on the PC with a 7800...and they used two ACDs but had to take the plastic cover off one of them and it worked...;)

5. crees! thread starter macrumors 68000

crees!

I would have to say way to go NVIDIA. They had to know the specs for these connectors as well as others to know to make enough room.

6. maxvamp macrumors 6502a

maxvamp

Question

Does your 7800 have the external video port as well?

For me this could pose a problem since I need a video out as well as a monitor out..

Thx.

Max.

7. crees! thread starter macrumors 68000

crees!

I'll have to check later tonight when I get home. I don't recall seeing it though I crawled under a desk in poor light when was trying to connect these. It's the GT model so I assume it has what the picture above shows (granted that's the exact model).

8. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

That looks like an NVidia reference card. It's up the actual manufacturer (NVidia don't make the cards, just the chips) whether they included the VIVO port or not (it's not a straight SVideo port). Every PC 7800GT I've seen has the port though...

9. crees! thread starter macrumors 68000

crees!

No S-Video

A'ight.. I took a look and it has no S-Video port. Just the two DVI connectors and that's it. I guess calling Apple would be the next step? Surely don't want to take the casing off one of the connectors just to use both.

10. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Or find cables with smaller connector sleeves. I think the only part of the connector that is part of the spec is the pin area, the physical size of the actual plastic section is not defined.

11. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

You could always do a little hillbilly engineering and use a file or something to thin the sleeve where it is interfering with the other connector...seems like a rather boneheaded design oversight to put them very close together like that.