can't play ANY videos!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bryantm3, Feb 24, 2006.

1. bryantm3 macrumors regular

hi, i'm using Mac OS 10.4.5, and i can't play any video files at all, with windows media player, quicktime, or realplayer. i can play mp3s and other audio files, but no videos. yes i have my volume turned up, and my sound card is working. i have no idea why this is happening. any help?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

They're all different formats yet they won't play in any of the apps? What responses do the apps give? :)

3. bu113t macrumors member

bu113t

are you getting any error messages at all?

Edit: Too slow...

4. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Have you tried a more universl player like VLC or MPlayer? I have never had any issues playing videos with those players, they are definitely your best options for Mac.

5. bryantm3 thread starter macrumors regular

whoops, i wasn't clear. i can play the video, but there is no audio. also, it does work on VLC and also, oddly, it works on petergabriel.com w/quicktime. but video files that i could play before w/ audio in WMP i can't play anymore. i also cannot hear the audio for videos on www.youtube.com

6. wasd macrumors member

i think im having the same problem

I downloaded vlc and mplayer and both players doesnt play the video (anime's). Well at least the audio is working but i was thinking is there like a codec pack we must install in order to play the videos. If you, what are they?

Thanks
    Ken

7. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

You can try grabbing the 3ivx/divx codecs for QuickTime for starters. Also, are these WMV files? They will definitely not play in most players, so if this is the case I would recommend using Flip4Mac - it's sweet. :cool:

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If it's one of the new Intel Macs you may have to just wait for updated versions of the codecs. :eek: