Can't play backuped DVD's

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Cees, Dec 22, 2003.

1. Cees macrumors newbie

Dec 22, 2003
    I can't play dvd'S with my Mac (Panther) which were backuped on a PC. They play in a standalone DVD player and on PC's but not on my G4.

Iám able to make a copy of the DVD with Toast titanium, but still this copy doesn't play on my Mac. However this copy plays on a standalone DVD player and on pC's!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FYI I installed a Pioneer DVR106D. (firmmware 1.07)

Do I need additonal Software or a patch to the Appple DVD player (version 4)?.

These copied DVD's are region free so that is not the problem

Please help. I want to view these copies on my Mac and not on a PC or standalone player.

Many thanks in advance
  2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    first off, it's backed-up. not backuped.

secondly, you'll need a viewer other than DVD Player. Player will only work the way it was intended, to discourage piracy.

try searching for something that can play what you need. i have little experience to offer.

3. zoetropeuk macrumors regular

Dec 19, 2002
    Oxford UK
    That's strange, I can play copied DVDs on my G4. I also have the DVR106 running 10.3.2
    And it's NOT illegal to make a back-up copy of your own DVD.
  4. Cees thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 22, 2003
    Thanks for the info. Now wondering what to do, downloading VLC or guessing why it doesn't work on my G4 with Panther 10.3.2 :)

Anyway, I try to sort it out and any additional sugestions are welcome.

It is not my intention to play illegal dvd's. Both my kids (10 and 12 yr old) have a G4 and i want them to play dvd's in their room. Without the risc of damaging the (original) dvd, they already spoiled 2 dvd''s with scratches etc.

I asked a friend to copy the dvd's so they can play those iso the original, but it runs on his PC but on my kids mac's

5. ftaok macrumors 601

Jan 23, 2002
    East Coast
    Just a quick question. Is the back-up DVD a DVD-R or a DVD+R? Chances are, your Mac won't be able to read the DVD+R.
  6. Cees thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 22, 2003
    Backup was DVD +

But with toast I copied the backup DVD+ to DVD- (very slow process)

The DVD- plays on PC's, standalone player, but not on the G4's

7. zoetropeuk macrumors regular

Dec 19, 2002
    Oxford UK
    Why don't you just use your G4 and the DVR106 to make your own copies ?

Just download and buy the following software, thoroughly read the help files that come with the software and you should be up and running in no time.

Just a hint, always burn the final DVD at 1x speed. I know it takes longer but you get a much better copy that will last longer and be more scratch resistant.

Software needed:

DVDBackup and

8. kettle macrumors 65816

May 12, 2002
    England, Great Britain (Airstrip One)
    That is correct, but I still think it has more logic when data that has been duplicated for back-up purposes, becomes backupped.

being backed-up has more of a descriptive value in the sense of having been put into reverse, or a system suffering some sort of backlog.

u r thinking "what a load of bowel movement" and "why not try staying on topic"

Cees posted for technical support and not an english lesson, strange how clever the english language is in that the users knew what eachother were communicating even though the data contained errors.

The fact that some users would make a point of waving the misuse in yer face, reminds me of a situation where a duplicated DVD will play on other platforms but for the sake of making a point fails to be read on a Mac.

such is life.:)
  9. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    No one said it was illegal. I said it was to discourage piracy, which is not to say that any other use IS piracy. But, if it were piracy, this would be the case. Not that I really care if it's pirated or not, but people are certainly allowed to make backup copies of their DVDs, as long as they do not break any of the software encryptions, which is (because lawmakers are idiots) illegal in many cases.

But, it appears that I am wrong, and that DVD Player can indeed play copied DVDs. Learn something new every day. I wish I could help solve the problem as to why it won't on your machine. But, alas, all I can do is come in and make partially-off-topic posts.

And thank you kettle, that's an interesting viewpoint :)

10. 7on macrumors 601

Nov 9, 2003
    Dress Rosa
    Is the disk scratched? Computers seem to be a little pickier on the quality of inserted disks.
  11. Cees thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 22, 2003
    Paul thanks for your suggestion (and the english lesson) :) and all others for their contribution.

zoetropeuk i'm gonna buy the software you recommended, thanks!

Glad to report my kids can play copied (or BACKED-UP if you prefer ) dvd's on their macs.

To give other people an idea what they can expect when they install the software mentioned below.

Hardware 1 x G4 400 mhz/ 320MB RAM, 1 x G4 450mhz/ 576 MB RAM, both running Panther 10.3.2.

DVD RAM: Pioneer DVR106D (=A06) firmware 1.0.7

Installed VLC (

Now able to play copied DVD's in -R AND +R

Interface is not as nice as apples' but IT WORKS.

However (also according to the VLC documentation) VLC doens't/can't use some hardware features from the Mac.

Therefore FULL screen playback stutters a little. However when you play "full screen" with the menu bar only it works fine.

DVR 106D supports copied DVD+R and DVR-R (as we already knew) Panther does, but Apples' DVD player (version 4) DOESN'T !

Bad job APPLE!

Happy holidays

12. sketchy macrumors regular

Jul 24, 2003
    Richmond VA
    Are you playing the DVD's on an apple Dvd player, or an external player. I heard external players have playback disabled.
  13. Cees thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 22, 2003
    Replaced the internal DVD-ROM with DVD-RAM Pioneer DVR-106D.

Playing the DVD's with the Pioneer.

No external player used.

14. dew321 macrumors newbie

Dec 23, 2003
    Sometimes if the disc isn't burned properly, the system will recognize it as a DVD Data disc instead of a DVD Video disc.

Try this: After you've put the disc in, open Apple's DVD Player, go to "File>Open VIDEO_TS Folder..." and then select the VIDEO_TS folder at the top level of the DVD. Then press Play, and it should work.

But for future discs, I recommend using DVD Backup and DVD2oneX, as mentioned above.
  15. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

May 4, 2002
    Go Vegan
    DVD Copying

My friend made a simple tutorial that tells you how to make backup copies of your own DVDs (for personal use of course) Here is the link for it if anyone is interested.

Applications needed: DVDBackup, DVD2OneX, and Roxio Toast Titanium (5 of 6)
  16. Cees thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 22, 2003
    Thanks for the "tutorial" downloaded/bought the software needed.

BTW I have other DVD-R media now and guess what it plays DVD's with the Apple player now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So thanks to all for advice. It shows how important it is to use the right DVD media.