Can't play Uni CD... was it made for Mac OS 9?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Ubuntu, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Hi,

I received a CD from a Uni I am considering, and it does claim support for Macintosh, however it does not specify requirements (other than later for Quicktime 4, which to me suggests that the content is old).

An error pops up reading "You cannot open the application "Play BCUC" because it is not supported on this system."

Same happens for the included Quicktime installer.

So is this not for OS X?

Is there anyway I can run it? I'm using 10.4 so I don't have the classic environment.

Thanks.

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Probably better off using a PC with the disk. Quicktime 4!!! That is more like OS 8. Very old. Otherwise the Classic environment should be an optional install on your System disks.

3. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

You don't have classic environment because you either don't have it installed, or are using an Intel Mac. It has nothing to do with the OS being version 10.4 or higher.

4. Ubuntu thread starter macrumors 68000

Computers with 10.3 came with Classic, well, at least from when I purchased my Powerbook (10.3.5), whereas when I purchased my new laptop, it came with 10.4, and no Classic. Nor did any of my friends' computers, when they purchased both PPC and Intel macs, which all happened to have 10.4.

5. Queso macrumors G4

PPC Macs all came with Classic in 10.4, but you had to install it as a custom option off the Tiger disk that shipped with the Mac. It was no longer part of the default installation.

On an Intel Mac, your best bet to get the disk running is to use BasiliskII and emulate an old 68040 Mac.

6. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Right... but you can't say you don't have it because you have 10.4.

You don't have it because you don't have it installed.