Can't print from iMac G5 to network printer...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Guitarst81, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Guitarst81 macrumors newbie

I have recently set up my wireless network at home, and set up a new printer to become the default network printer, although when I try to print from my iMac to the (network) printer hooked up to the Dell, the page is fed and is produced to the tray, but it doesn't actually print anything on the page. The ink is full, and prints perfectly with the Dell and another PC laptop, but when I try to print something it just comes out blank. Anyone know anything about this?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Is the printer connected directly to the Dell? If so, install Bonjour for Windows on it. I usually find this little download from Apple fixes most PC/Mac printing issues. :)

3. Guitarst81 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh wow, I just checked out that link. First off, thank you so much for your assistance. So if I just download this program onto my Mac it will work? Do I have to keep it running while I print, or can I just install it and go about with my day? How does this work exactly?

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You download it on the PC. It comes inbuilt into OSX so the Mac won't need it. All it does is allow for better communication between Macs and PCs in terms of mainly peripherals (like printers) however it'll only help if you are trying to share the printer from the Dell, not if the printer is a third component of your network. It's not an app so much as a plug in too. :)

• Install Bonjour on PC,
    • Configure as required (it'll have a wizard if it needs to know anything from you, otherwise don't worry about it at all),
    • Go back to Mac, look for printer from the Printer Set Up Utility.

It really should be that easy but this is all assuming that the printer is connected to the Dell directly.

5. Guitarst81 thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright... awesome! I can't wait to try it out. The printer is indeed directly connected to the Dell, so that shouldn't be a problem then. Thanks again dude!

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

No worries. :)

It's really really easy to set up but if you run into any problems, feels free to post back.