Can't Print in 10.4.9

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by spacefreak4, Mar 19, 2007.

1. spacefreak4 macrumors member

So I updated my generation 1, revision B, Mac Mini (1.25Ghz PowerPC) to 10.4.9 yesterday. I then went to try to print a document through my (shared) printer.

My printer (HP PSC 2110) is connected to my Windows XP box; I use the Windows Printing feature under Printer Setup Utility to print documents through that computer. I also use the HPIJS printer driver to print from my Mac. While this setup is troublesome, at times, I have been always to get it to print.

With the 10.4.9 upgrade, the printer no longer shows up under the list of printers in the Print dialogue. (The printer's file is still located under ~/Library/Printers, but when I open that file, I get an error message saying, "The printer 'HPPrinter' could not be found in your list of printers.")

When I went to Printer Setup Utility and pressed the "Add" button, (or, "Add Printers..." from the Printer list in the Print dialogue,) and then the "More Printers..." button, no printer shows up. In the past, the Utility used to be able to locate the printer; at that point, I would set it up to tell what printer model my printer is and the printer would be able to print.

Do you have any suggestions, or has this happened to you? I have heard some bad stories from the 10.4.9 update; I hope this isn't one of them. Thank you for any help.

2. spacefreak4 thread starter macrumors member

Nevermind: It turns out it was a simple mistake; cupsd was turned off. I used the application Printer Setup Repair to figure this out.