Can't print in Draft mode from Windows -> Mac -> printer?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Gary King, Feb 19, 2006.

1. Gary King macrumors 6502

I have a printer connected to my Mac, and Windows connected to my Mac. Windows can use the printer through the network, and I can print - but only when I select either AppleWriter or ColorWriter printer drivers, instead of my actual printer's drivers. Also, when I choose either one of those drivers, I don't have the option to print in Draft mode.

So, how do I go about printing in Draft mode, and still be actually able to print? Because if I choose my printer's actual drivers, then when I try to print, nothing happens.

2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

You need to make sure you have the actual print drivers installed on both machines and they work correctly.

You can't tell it to print in Draft mode because the printer doesn't understand what you're trying to tell it.

3. Gary King thread starter macrumors 6502

But if I choose a non-AppleWriter or non-ColorWriter printer driver, then I can't print, at all.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Let's go through this slowly...

If you don't have a PostScript printer, then you need a model-specific print driver to communicate with your printer.

In some cases, a printer may respond to a driver intended for another model.

Just because this works sometimes, you should not count on it.

If you would tell us which model printer you have, maybe we can be of more help to you.

5. Gary King thread starter macrumors 6502

I have an HP DeskJet 932C.

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Your printer is support by GIMP-print/Gutenprint. This should allow you to communicate with it over your network.

7. Gary King thread starter macrumors 6502

I am using the correct driver, but I still do not have the option to print in draft mode. I only have the option to print in draft mode when I connect the printer directly to my Mac.

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Come on, Gary. You have been at this now for more than two years. Just about every day, someone new posts a question about using a USB printer over the network. The answer is always the same. Vendor-supplied drivers for inkjet printers usually are for USB connections. With rare exception, you cannot use a USB driver over the network. They work fine over a direct connection because that is what they are designed to do.

For printers like your HP DeskJet 932c, you need a CUPS driver to communicate with it over a network. You are very much in luck because your printer is supported by the popular opensource Gutenprint package of CUPS drivers. I can't guarantee you that it will work in draft mode because I simply don't know. I can guarantee that nothing over the network will work better.

9. Gary King thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, but that's what I'm already using. I can print over the network but don't have draft settings. I've had this problem on and off over the past few years because I once had a printer directly connected to my computer for a few months, but after that I moved and now print over the network.

10. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You are going to have to decide what you want, but you can't have everything--at least, not until HP decides to support CUPS. You must choose either network printing or total control over your printer.

There is a third choice--money. PrintFab, the commercial collection of CUPS drivers supports the HP DeskJet 932c. It features much greater control of your printer, including ink control. You may download the drivers and check them out, or you may read the manual online or download it for offline reading. PrintFab appears to provide everything--for a price.

11. Gary King thread starter macrumors 6502

I installed it but it doesn't work for me. I have the same issue as reported here and have responded to that thread to see if anyone can help.

12. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

i use an HP DeskJet 930C connected to my PC over the network. i can only use draft print if its directly connected to my mac by USB but i dont want it continuously connected to my MacBook Pro and i dont have a router with USB.

to print over the network i have to use the CUPS driver "HP DeskJet Series, 1.3" as there is no HP DeskJet 930C driver to use, it only works if connected by USB. and with the CUPS driver you cannot draft print.

13. Gary King thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay, so that is basically the situation that I'm in. No solution to allow draft printing?

14. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

plug in the printer by USB

15. Gary King thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I am aware of that option, but it isn't available for me. Basically, no space, physically, for a printer nearby. I can only use the network one.