Can't Quit

Discussion in 'macOS' started by taylorpc, Jun 28, 2006.

1. taylorpc macrumors member

............ literally. Any time something goes wrong with an application and I need to force quit, it won't. I press the three magic keys and it just sits there, daring me to try again. No window pops out asking me if I want to force quit the application. I have to restart the computer. Anyone know what the HECK is going on?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

What apps are crashing that need to be force quitted? :)

If nothing has crashed but you still summon the force quit menu, does it freeze?

3. taylorpc thread starter macrumors member

Say Safari freezes. When I try to force quit, it does nothing. Literally. Safari will just continue to be frozen. If Safari is fine, yet I want to force quit (which I would never need to do... it's just SUPPOSED to be able to), it does nothing. Wierd, eh? Puzzled.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, can you check that these keys are working in isolation? Does COMMAND-Q still quit an app (if it's not frozen)? Does OPTION-2 still give the trademark symbol (™) in TextEdit? Does ESCAPE still get you out of iPhoto slideshows? :)

5. taylorpc thread starter macrumors member

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If you open up a new user account, can you summon the Force Quit dialogue box from there? :)

7. taylorpc thread starter macrumors member

I'm not sure if I know what you mean. New user profile? (sorry... I *still* am learning! Only switched last year...) :) Anyway... I found out I can force quit using the "control click the dock icon" method. It's just weird that I can't do it the way I've ALWAYS done it.

8. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

Are you sure your are using the right three key combination.? My hands are still going towards Control-Alt-Del. :)

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You can create a new user profile in System Preferences, under the Accounts pane. Just click on the plus sign in the bottom left to get started. This is a pretty common way of troubleshooting idiosyncrasies in OSX. :)

10. taylorpc thread starter macrumors member

Will do! Thanks for the info... sure helps (semi) newbies like myself!