Can't re-install office 2004

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Hls811, Mar 30, 2007.

1. Hls811 macrumors 6502a

Hls811

So, yesterday afternoon I ran through an clean-up using Monolingual, and I must've selected something that Office didn't like because the icons in the upper left of Entourage (mail, Calendar, Contacts, etc) all disappeared. No big deal.. I popped in the Office CD, tried to do a re-install - but no luck...

So, I went and completely removed Office using the removal tool, did a disk permissions, spotlight for office and removed anything I saw related... And tried to re-install.

Now, theres 2 options when installing - the Custom install, where you click the icon and can select to add/remove options, and the full install. I tried the custom install first, the little icon showed up in the dock for about 3 seconds and then faded away into the abyss. So then I tried the full install - copied the folder over to my Applications folder, it took a few minutes, looked like it was going through the install.. I go into Applications - all the things look right.. click on Entourage - starts bouncing in the dock and dissappears. Click Word, Excel, PowerPoint.. same thing.. Bouncing dock for 2-3 seconds and then it vanishes.

Is there some other way to get this installed? I've tried the original disk and an ISO image I had backed up elsewhere and its the same thing.. It looks like its doing the install - it just won't open.

Any suggestions?

2. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Oh dear. You used Monolingual? I'm guessing you removed some files that were necessary to run any PPC-native apps via Rosetta; and yes, that would include MS Office.

I'm no pro, so please don't do this until others w/ more experience respond, but I think your only option (if you want to use MS office) is to archive and re-install the OS from your install dics. :eek:

3. Sherman Homan macrumors 6502

I think devilot is right, the installation problem is related to the language files that Rosetta needs. I haven't had to reinstall 10.4 on an Intel Mac yet, is there a way to do a custom install of the languages or Rosetta itself? Otherwise, doing an Archive and Install is not a big deal.

4. Hls811 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hls811

D'oh!!! Stupid me.. yes - I did un-install some of the PPC-native apps.. I completely forgot that Office needs them still!!!

Thanks for pointing it out.. I'll get the old install discs out...

5. shifeng macrumors newbie

shifeng

Hi. Just one silly question. Office 2004 for Mac is only for ppc? cos i'm using an intel mac

6. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Office 2004 runs fine on my Intel iMac, it runs in rosetta. So even thought it is PPC it is emulated and can run on intel.

7. shifeng macrumors newbie

shifeng

Oh. But how come entourage doesn't open at all? also when I open the other applications, there is always an error opening some library.

8. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Did you use monoligual at all?

If not did you move the applications outside of the folder that the installer automatically creates. If so put the applications back in that folder and it hopefully that will fix it.

(More proof of microsofts crappy coding, i had this problem with v.X, didnt see if it still exsited in 2004)

9. shifeng macrumors newbie

shifeng

monolingual? sorry I don't understand. I can type chinese and japanese on my macbook. does that mean i'm not using monolingual?

No I didn't move the applications in anyway. I used the icons on my dock that the installer placed there.