Can't Receive Text Messages but I can Send Them!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by xcharlesy, Jun 29, 2007.

1. macrumors member

Just got my iphone, activated etc.. only problem I am having is I can not receive txt msgs.. but I can send them out and people get them no problem.. anyone having similar problems etc..?

2. macrumors newbie

I am as well, the text takes a bit to show up, quite odd.

3. thread starter macrumors member

ok change that.. i can get from atandt people

the main fact is

i cant receive txts from people outside of atandt

4. macrumors regular

Don't forget that if you transferred your number from another carrier, there is a window during which you can make calls but can't yet receive them. I assume the same thing is true of text messages.

5. thread starter macrumors member

i added a new line to a pre existing family plan^

6. thread starter macrumors member

7. macrumors 65816

WillJS

Yes. I ported my number from VZW and people can't recieve mine and I can't recieve theirs. HOPEFULLY this will be fixed in the next few days. If not, and I cant txt my VZW buds, bye bye iPhone. :(

8. thread starter macrumors member

yeah I can do everything on my iphone send and receive calls to it and from it.. and i can txt anyone and they get it.. and i receive txts from any at&t phone.. i just cant receive verizon or tmobile txts or any other network really..

and i added my line to a already existing family share plan with unlimited txting..

i wish i knew what was going wrong

9. macrumors 68000

LeeTom

uh, you guys.... these things aren't instantaneous. give it overnight, you'll start getting texts normally. the other networks just have to catch up. be patient.

10. macrumors 6502

I am having the same problem here. Can send but can't receive. Hopefully this will get fixed some time soon.

11. macrumors 65816

WillJS

[pray] You're probably right. :) [/pray]

12. thread starter macrumors member

is it just to other networks or what?

13. thread starter macrumors member

i sure hope so.. i mean i was first in line at my location interviewed by 5 news casts.. i just want to txt my girlfriend... lol..

14. macrumors 68000

LeeTom

yeah, that's what's going on. just hold tight.

15. thread starter macrumors member

but would it really be a case I can send them and receive them from at&t just not other networks?

cause my friend who waited and line txted his sister on verizon and theres is up.. i dunno maybe tomorrow morning it will work..

if not, do you think these is apple or at&t? and a network error or phone fault?

16. macrumors 68000

LeeTom

Yes, this is EXACTLY what goes on with other phones when switching networks. Quit stressing and just wait until morning. I swear to God!

17. macrumors newbie

I just switched from Nextel and I am having the same problem.

I'm going to give it a few days before I panic.

18. thread starter macrumors member

whatever you say man...

yay mine works now haha

19. macrumors newbie

I did not port my number. I can send text to anyone, I can only get texts from At&T customers. Waiting to hear about a fix on this one....

20. macrumors newbie

Hey there, did your incoming text message problem solve itself? I can send to any phone but I cannot receive any text messages period... any idea how to fix this?!

Thank you!

21. macrumors 65816

WillJS

My issue was fixed when I woke up the next day, :)

22. macrumors newbie

Strange I dont know what is going on then. I woke up this morning and my number seems to have been ported succesfully...as in I can receive and make calls. I just can't receive any text messages.... incredibly frustrating!

23. macrumors newbie

i have the same problem, i can recieve texts from AT&T phones, but no one outside AT&T

24. macrumors newbie

Looks like ATTs data network is still down. I work at a company with 3000 Blackberrys and ATt told us appx 3:00 PM ETA. Maybe this is what happens when 500,000 iPhones are no longer in WiFi range on the first business day after the launch !

25. macrumors newbie

I got my iPhone on Saturday and got it activated in about 45 minutes. Everything works great except for the texting. Brand new ATT account, and like the other users I can send to anyone and they get it just fine. Can't receive any except for ATT users. So I was on the phone with first Apple Tech support, did the usual reset, restore and then no change. Went to level 2 support and still couldn't fix the problems. Apple then sent me over to ATT support. 4 hours later of tech support they have it working, sort of :confused:

The only way they could get it working as of now is for the people to send a text message like this. Your phone # and then this,

ex: (XXX) XXX-XXXX@mobile.mycingular.com as the "phone #" to send the text too. This did work! But when I try to reply instead of the usual phone # to reply to you now have that person's phone # plus the web address of their provider. Well, now I couldn't send the text back to this person. So I had to start a new text message with their phone #!

I'm sure not everyone is texting this way, so there must be something going on somewhere! I hope this helps for now.