Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kylos

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2002
MI
If you haven't yet got it to work haberdasher, if you booted up from the drive with the forgotten password, then you shouldn't have to enter the username. The prompt should look something like
root %
root % passwd
Changing password for haberdasher.
Old password :
New password :
Retype new password :
Password sucessfully changed.
root%

And I call # pound, sharp, number sign, and hash respectively for telephones, music, numbers, and programming.:D

Haberdasher

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Originally posted by Kyle?
If you haven't yet got it to work haberdasher, if you booted up from the drive with the forgotten password, then you shouldn't have to enter the username. The prompt should look something like
root %
root % passwd
Changing password for haberdasher.
Old password :
New password :
Retype new password :
Password sucessfully changed.
root%

And I call # pound, sharp, number sign, and hash respectively for telephones, music, numbers, and programming.:D

I successfully changed the password with the OSX boot CD, but I'm trying to figure out how to change the root password by booting up with the single user mode. I know that the passwd command is available, I can find the master password file at its default location, but I can't get the passwd command to work (can't figure out what to enter to make it work, even following the directions).

What I'm asking now is if someone can explain to me what I'm supposed to enter to edit the master passwd file, just use whatever user name and assume the default location for the passwd file.

I'd just like 1 or 2 lines demonstrating what I'm supposed to enter. :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.