Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikrovioslive

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2015
Hello.. I install Dropbox on my iMac Yosemite .. I don't like it an I want to delete it.. But I can't.. There is a message : can't delete because there is open.. Wtf.? I logout I quit ... No.
I find some help on Google ps ~/Library, But looks like there is no.. No Dropbox in Library. Only in ~/.dropbox <<--- I delete it here but it comes back.. Please an step by step to remove it.. Thanx

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hello.. I install Dropbox on my iMac Yosemite .. I don't like it an I want to delete it.. But I can't.. There is a message : can't delete because there is open.. Wtf.? I logout I quit ... No.
I find some help on Google ps ~/Library, But looks like there is no.. No Dropbox in Library. Only in ~/.dropbox <<--- I delete it here but it comes back.. Please an step by step to remove it.. Thanx

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

Reboot and hold the shift key at startup to boot to safe mode. That will prevent the Dropbox app from starting. Then follow this step by step to uninstall Dropbox. Restart afterwards.

Reactions: CoastalOR

Andrew John

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2015
Melbourne

Simple! Follow this: FINDER-APPLICATIONS-UTILITIES FOLDER-ACTIVITY MONITOR. Next, highlight Dropbox and close using the little X at the top left side of the box. This will close the application and allows you to delete it from your applications.

Last edited by a moderator:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
If you elect to use such apps, be aware that in most cases, app removal software doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this and this. If you just want to delete the app, drag the .app file to the trash. No other software needed. If you want to completely remove all associated files/folders, no removal apps will do the job.

ComputerHacker

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2015
If you elect to use such apps, be aware that in most cases, app removal software doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this and this. If you just want to delete the app, drag the .app file to the trash. No other software needed. If you want to completely remove all associated files/folders, no removal apps will do the job.
OP said that that didn't work I was just giving other options. Other then delete all the files manually.

Reactions: Weaselboy

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
OP said that that didn't work I was just giving other options. Other then delete all the files manually.
No, the OP did not say it didn't work. The OP never responded, and has not posted since they started this thread 6 months ago. The method in post #2 is more effective than using any app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.