Can't remove items from dock

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Sam/B, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Sam/B macrumors member

Dec 31, 2005
    Newport - South Wales
    For some reason since installing a new OS I can't remove programs from my Dock anymore? I used to be able to just right click on the program and select remove from dock but everything program I now right click on says "show in finder" with no other options to delete it. I've only just recently installed OS X 10.3.9 (I can't remember what I used to have on here as this was a new OS CD).
  2. miniConvert macrumors 68040

Mar 4, 2006
    Kent, UK - the 'Garden of England'.
    Can you just drag them off and let them go like in Tiger? They vanish in a puff of smoke. Lovely.
  3. ThunderLounge macrumors 6502

Sep 20, 2006
    As mini mentioned, just drag it off the dock.

The "oldest" version I have running on any of my boxes is Jaguar, so I verified and it doesn't have the "remove from dock" option either. Off the top of my head I don't know when it was removed but just dragging it off works like a charm, as does dragging something to add it.
  4. Sam/B thread starter macrumors member

Dec 31, 2005
    Newport - South Wales
    doh having one of my dull moments, not sure why I didn't think of just dragging it off int othe trach can. cheers for that
  5. apfhex macrumors 68030

Aug 8, 2006
    Northern California
    You don't need to drag them to the Trash. Just drag them off the Dock to anywhere else on the screen and they poof.
  6. ncurtis macrumors newbie

Jun 29, 2008
    im having the same problem running leopard except mine happened out of no where. Just wont let me drag and drop off the dock and there is no remove from dock option either.
  7. billmister macrumors 6502

Sep 15, 2007
    Also it will not let you drag it off the Dock if the application is open. Example, if iTunes is open and running and you close the screen, the app will not be removed from the dock untill you click and hold and select Quit. Once it quits then you will be able to move it from dock to anywher on the screen and it will Poof (vanish)
  8. ncurtis macrumors newbie

Jun 29, 2008
    not sure what was causing the problem but i was able to fix it be deleting the preference files for the doc.
  9. thecoolk macrumors newbie

Jul 22, 2008
    i have the exact same problem and i just can't drag it off the doc or remove it in anyway. i used to be able to do it!! :mad: my version is 10.5.4 and i really would like to know how to remove icons from doc! help!
  10. ncurtis macrumors newbie

Jun 29, 2008
    To fix the problem your having your going to need to delete the following files

They are located in

/Macintosh HD/Users/HOMEFOLDER/Library/Preferences/

once these files are deleted open terminal and type

killall Dock

Now move your mouse to the bottom of the screen and the Dock will relaunch back to its factory settings.
  11. thecoolk macrumors newbie

Jul 22, 2008
    still not puffing out!

Thanks "ncurtis"! I did what you told me to do and the doc did go back to its original factory settings.
    BUT, i can NOT get rid of the items on doc!!
  12. thecoolk macrumors newbie

Jul 22, 2008

this may not be the case for most of you but i found out that...
    under system preferences>parental control>"(your account)">system, there is a list of things that if you tick them off, you are able to do. it's at the bottom of the page and all you have to do is
    -make a tick next to "Can modify the Dock" by clicking the small white box next to it.
    -restart your computer.

voila! :D

try it if you have "parental control" on your account.
  13. ncurtis macrumors newbie

Jun 29, 2008
    Try repairing disk permissions, it could be a permissions file on your pref folder or on the actual plist files. You can run this by going to Applications/Utilities/Disk Utitlity
  14. ajleonard macrumors newbie

Jul 29, 2008
    i had the same problem and got it fixed thanks to all of your help. so thanks!

does anyone know how this happened to us in the first place? is it just some random act?
  15. thecoolk macrumors newbie

Jul 22, 2008
    i know it happened to me cuz someone put "parental control" on my account!:mad:
  16. wad11656 macrumors member

Feb 20, 2009

Thank you so much for that! You are a life saver! In fact, you don't need to restart your computer after changing these preferences. All you need to do is type
    killall Dock
    directly in the Terminal. (Just search for it in Finder or top right search bar.)

This helped me after restarting my dock to factory settings.
  17. joe bongiovi, Jan 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2011

joe bongiovi macrumors newbie

Jan 22, 2011
    can't remove items from dock

I was having a major newbie headache with this problem...then I opened ONYX! In the "parameter" portion of ONYX there is an option to lock items in dock!!!

Deselect it and all should be well. I'm running Snowleopard OSX 10.6.6., and now the icons go "poof" again.

If this is a help I'd appreciate knowing.

Thanks ;>)
  18. thecoolk macrumors newbie

Jul 22, 2008

my problem was that I had parental controls on. if you think that might be the reason, go to:
    System Preferences>Parental Controls>(and if Parental Controls are enabled)Open Parental Controls..>unclick 'Allow User to Modify the Dock'
    hope this helps
  19. mh33 macrumors newbie

Apr 11, 2013
    This worked for me...

In the Terminal, which can be found by opening Finder and searching "Terminal" in the Applications folder, copy and paste the following:

defaults write contents-immutable -bool false; killall Dock

Hopefully this helps you too!!
  20. Julien macrumors G3

Jun 30, 2007
    Do you relly think the OP has been waiting for almost 7 years :eek: for this answer?:D