Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xpmrz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2013
Ok so I have received this Mac Book Pro ( 2009 Model ) from my mother. It s quite old and i dont really know what my mother had done to this computer.

I just know one thing that this computer was configured to run Windows, and now its partition table is like this :

Screen_Shot_2013_10_19_at_3_18_10_PM.png

The DATA Partition is in NTFS, and the others are in MAC OS Extended (Journaled ) format.

I can only modify the Kim Oanh Partition, i cant modify the others. I know i cant modify a NTFS partition by Disk Ultity, is there any solution for this ? ( note that i dont want to lose any data )

However i cant modify the Macintosh HD either, the button appears grey :

Screen_Shot_2013_10_19_at_3_32_50_PM.png

What is its problem ? How do i solve this ?

By the way i dont know why my computer lost one Recovery Partition, how can i take it back ?

I really need help from you, people :(

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
If that DATA partition is NTFS, you should be able to read but not write data there. So move any data on the DATA partition over to the Macintosh HD partition using Finder.

Then go back to Disk Util and select the DATA partition and click the minus to remove it. Then you will be able to expand Macintosh HD into the empty space. You can do the same thing with the Kim Oanh partition if you want.

Watch this video.

What makes you think you don't have a recovery partition? It is normally hidden and not visible in Disk Utility. Type "diskutil list" (without the quotes) in Terminal and you will see the 650MB recovery partition.

xpmrz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2013
If that DATA partition is NTFS, you should be able to read but not write data there. So move any data on the DATA partition over to the Macintosh HD partition using Finder.

Then go back to Disk Util and select the DATA partition and click the minus to remove it. Then you will be able to expand Macintosh HD into the empty space. You can do the same thing with the Kim Oanh partition if you want.

Watch this video.

What makes you think you don't have a recovery partition? It is normally hidden and not visible in Disk Utility. Type "diskutil list" (without the quotes) in Terminal and you will see the 650MB recovery partition.

I opened the debug mode and no hidden partition appeared. At first i didnt know there s such a partition, i only know it when i tried to turn on " Find my MAC " feature and it couldnt work since there s no recovery Partition.

I still can write data on it using Tuxera NTFS. I will try to delete that NTFS Partition. But dont u forget that i cant modify the Macintosh HD ?

Thanks for help

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.