Cant Run Applications

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Doug55, Mar 17, 2007.

1. Doug55 macrumors newbie

Is there a way to open applications? My school gave us all mac laptops and I cannot access the internet at home on safari, only on firefox. However to get firefox it was a hassle! Since we couldn't run any applications I had to do it via the dashboard but now they deleted the dashboard! I have used MondoDock, Todos, Tigerlaunch, and lastly I have used Safari's RSS feeds but all are blocked. Can someone tell me a way to open up applications without using a dashboard? And if someone can tell me how to unblock Preference Panes that would be helpful too :).

Thanks!

P.S. my account is not an administrator account :(

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

You will not get help here on how to bypass the security that your school has chosen to put in place

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

are you allowed to re-install system?

easiest way is to boot machine into linux with a LiveCD, such as Ubuntu

4. Doug55 thread starter macrumors newbie

oh man :(, I guess it isn't worth the hassle then.

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

hehe, if u feel Ubuntu LiveCD (free, downloadable, yes, its a linux) is difficult,, :D , yes, u can just drop the idea,

6. Doug55 thread starter macrumors newbie

No, im not saying it will be difficult im saying I wouldn't be able to get support for it.

7. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I tried an Ubuntu LiveCD (well, DVD in this case). I wouldn't recommend it for laptops, especially if you use a Bluetooth mouse. If you really want to run Linux on your Power/i/MacBook (Pro), install it on the hard drive and make sure you get the drivers you need.

8. j0shbro macrumors newbie

Hey I was wondering why not? I have almost the same problem but the difference is I BOUGHT the MacBook from my school, they restricted it, and after I finished school (grown man my man) they did not tell me how to unblock anything PLUS they didn't even give me the Installation disc that WAS SUPPOSED to come with my MacBook and now I'm stuck with a MacBook that has so many restrictions such as not being able to use BootCamp, Bluetooth, Time Machine and so on.

9. simsaladimbamba

If it is a pre 2010 MacBook, get the 29 USD Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Upgrade DVD via the Apple Online Store and do a clean install. Backup your data and all files/folders before via TM or CarbonCopyCloner and then use Migration Assistant or Setup Assistant to migrate data from the backup to your newly installed Mac OS X copy.
    To create a Clean Install (formerly known as Erase & Install) of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard (the 29 USD Upgrade DVD is a fully working retail version of Mac OS X and does not need a prior installation of Mac OS X on the Mac), follow one of the following guides:
    Migration Assistant / Setup Assistant information: