Can't scroll when over ad on Mac Rumors???

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by flyfish29, Apr 3, 2006.

1. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

What's up with the fact that I can scroll with my mouse while it is over the razor (phone) on the middle of the MacRumors page? I have never come across this on the web- am I ignorant and is this commonly found on the web?

Only happens for the top razor ad, the second one on the page lets me scroll fine as it does if my mouse pointer is anyplace else on the page.

annoyying to say the least!

2. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

That's normal, it's something with Google's code. Happens with a lot of sites.

3. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Yep...just move your mouse and it'll stop.

4. flyfish29 thread starter macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Yeah, I could make the scroll wheel start working but the mouse cursor couldn't be over the ad. I just have never seen an ad be able to disable a mouse's functionality like that.

5. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Technically I think you're scrolling some sort of table element in Google's ad...but there's only like 1 pixel (or none) to scroll through), so it doesn't do anything.

6. commonpeople macrumors regular

I thought I was going crazy when I noticed the same thing. Is this really by accident- or does Google do it on purpose?

7. emaja macrumors 68000

Those damn ads hog my CPU cycles and drive me mad. Is there any way for MacRumors to disable those kind of ads? If not, is there a way that I can do that on my end?

8. uaaerospace macrumors 6502

Contribute to Macrumors for the ad free version if they annoy you that much.

Otherwise, just look over them like I do... :p

9. emaja macrumors 68000

That is the first I have read of an "ad-free" version of MR. I might have to do that.

I would look past the ads as they never bothered me before. Just recently these new ads seem to bad down everything and not allow me to scroll past them. That is what is really annoying, not the content of the ads themselves.

10. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Sorry, can't talk about ad blocking. We frown upon it. :)

The approved method of eliminating ads is to contribute:

http://forums.macrumors.com/payments.php

Perhaps I should advertise it more. We kept it on the down-low before since it was hard to keep up with manually... now it's automated.

Ad free version shown below

Attached Files:

11. uaaerospace macrumors 6502

Sorry arn ;)

12. Electro Funk macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

i just noticed this today... never really happened to me before and then i thought my mouse ws on the fritz... :eek:

scroll near the edges man.... scroll near the edge! :p

13. emaja macrumors 68000

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend. It was a silly question to ask on a site that I like so much.

I was completely unaware that you could contribute. I would have done so earlier if I knew about it. Please make it more prominent - but not intrusive.

14. supremedesigner macrumors 6502a

supremedesigner

The interesting thing is when you scroll up over AD, it worked instead of scrolling down. :eek:

15. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

I first noticed it on Maccentral but it happens all over the net.

16. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

Wait, wait, there is more. I cannot scroll down when the cursor is over the top razor ad, but I can scroll up. What's up with that?

Does this happen only with Safari? I don't remember such behavior when I was connecting from work via FireFox on XP.

17. cc bcc macrumors 6502

There is a bit of javascript that disables the scrollwheel.. It's hugely annoying. But I must admit it's smart.
    If anyone nows how to disable this javascript, please let us know. I don't mind looking at those ads, I automatically ignore them because they're often not localized. The HP Compaq ad is in Dutch, but I don't know why HP wants to advertise on a mac site. ;)

18. MistaBungle macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

This happens to me all the time on Engadget. Comforting to know others are having the same problem.

19. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

And I thought my mouse was knackered! Ive sent it back to apple too :D Luckily they gave me full refund and I have bought a new one for less :D

20. Cloudgazer macrumors 6502

Cloudgazer

What!?
    There are ads on MR!? I've never noticed! :D