Can't search in iTMS!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by crookedcharlie, Aug 24, 2004.

1. crookedcharlie macrumors member

Itunes loads up the music store fine, and I can browse, but no matter what I type in the search box in the upper right corner of itunes, it stalls out and doesn't execute the search. Searching works fine in my library. Any ideas?

2. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

It works fine for me.
    First I would try restarting itunes and they try.
    Then if that doesn't work repair permissions.
    If that doesn't work restart your computer.
    Then is you still have no luck I would reinstall itunes.

3. crookedcharlie thread starter macrumors member

Right.

And after all of that what should I do? Because I've done everything there already.

4. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

Well I'm out of ideas.
    I guess you could call apple tech support.
    Are you running the latest version of itunes?

5. crookedcharlie thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, running 4.6. Just reinstalled it after just about everything else on your list. Looked on Apple support, found nothing. I guess I'll have to call... sigh.

6. applekid macrumors 68020

Do you get a message about something where there's no such a song? Or is it a message like an error or the progress bar keeps moving, but nothing happens?

If it's the previous, I'd worry.

If it's the latter, your connection is probably bad (broadband is highly recommended) or Apple's servers are busy (which happens at times).

7. crookedcharlie thread starter macrumors member

There's no message. The progress bar starts to move, then quickly disaappears, replaced by the big apple logo. Might it be a connection issue? A firewall problem?

8. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

I dunno, but I'm having all kinds of trouble navigating and bringing up song samples tonight; and it's definitely the store, because Safari and my iTunes library are working perfectly well. Frustrating! this is the first time the iTMS hasn't been near-instantaneous with a good connection.

9. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

I just downloaded 9 songs from the iTMS no problem. It was about the same speed as it always before.

10. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

Feh. Well, I just lost Shake, by Machines of Loving Grace. Checking for purchased music tells me that all music's already been downloaded from my account; viewing my account information shows that I've paid for the song. Yet it's not in my Library.

And to top it off, the iTunes contact form lost my message the first time I submitted it. :mad: I know it's only one song, but if they don't resolve this, it'll be time for a MacInTouch reader report to wench and bitch about it in true Mac user fashion.

...the sample sounded so cool, too... :(

11. crookedcharlie thread starter macrumors member

I guess it's my company's firewall. I brought my powerbook home and tried it, and it works. Weird how it only blocks searching...

12. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

It makes sense to me. Static pages like album descriptions are cached all over the place on Akamai servers, while dynamic stuff like searches and purchases requires a connection to Apple's servers. Portions of the service use different IP ports too, so there are all kinds of ways for a firewall mangler to make iTMS work only partially.

13. crookedcharlie thread starter macrumors member

Well, thanks for all the help, in any case. My first Powerbook freak out. I'm so glad this site is here. Seriously, it's better than trying to drudge through Apple online support, which is hard to navigate when you're frantic.

14. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Just a question...

It's not a stupid question...

after you type the word you're looking for... did you hit the "Browse" button? :rolleyes: :) :p ;) :D :confused: :eek:

I mean, because I had a customer, newbie, and called me complaining about the same thing because it did work with his library and didn't with the store... he was just a click away ;)