Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reckoner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2008
OK, i may be an idiot, but I can't for the life of me see where/how to add a track from Apple Music to My Music (library) or a playlist in iTunes on the Mac (or Windows, for that matter). The FAQs say to find the track in iTunes and click the "3 dots" to add it, but I do not see any 3 dots in track listings on iTunes. Am I missing something?

MentalFloss

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012
OK, i may be an idiot, but I can't for the life of me see where/how to add a track from Apple Music to My Music (library) or a playlist in iTunes on the Mac (or Windows, for that matter). The FAQs say to find the track in iTunes and click the "3 dots" to add it, but I do not see any 3 dots in track listings on iTunes. Am I missing something?
In iTunes for the Mac, the three-dot button only appears when your mouse hovers above the track.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
You don't see three dots next to each song? That's an iOS view Mac is as above

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    284.9 KB · Views: 343

reckoner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2008
Yeah, something is up. See attached picture - this is when I hover over the songs - the "play" button appears on the left hand side, but no 3 dots that I can see.

Picture1.jpg

MentalFloss

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012
Well, that explains it. You are searching in the iTunes Store, not on Apple Music. The iTunes Store is a separate entity from Apple Music. Go to any tab other than "iTunes Store" and search for music then (just make sure you are searching in Apple Music, not in your library).

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
Well, that explains it. You are searching in the iTunes Store, not on Apple Music. The iTunes Store is a separate entity from Apple Music. Go to any tab other than "iTunes Store" and search for music then (just make sure you are searching in Apple Music, not in your library).

I'll try to add to the explanation for adding Apple Music to your collection with iTunes.

It has been a very frustrating experience and I still find myself clueless at times as to what step is next.

So, lets say you were in "For You" and Apple recommends an "Intro to..." playlist and you liked the playlist so much you make a note to add the artist's collection to iTunes later in the day.

So, you go to Your Music, click on the search box, type in the artist in question, then in the search field select "Apple Music." Once you search it will take you to results and the best bet is to select the Artist's page. Then, in their page, you'll see Top Songs, Top Albums, All Albums, Videos, etc. Select All Albums and then if you "hover" over the album in question it will show the play button on the bottom right. Click anywhere else and it will take you to the "page" for this album. Once on this page, you'll see a "+" sign on the top right area, click this and it will add all "available" tracks in the album to your own collection (in the cloud, not a download).

reckoner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2008

<facepalm> ... thanks. And here I thought I was tech savvy.

MentalFloss

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012
<facepalm> ... thanks. And here I thought I was tech savvy.
Trust me, this could happen to anyone. I can very vividly imagine myself sitting there, staring at the screen and wondering where those three buttons are supposed to be. I honestly have no idea why they only appear when you hover over that song.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.