cant see dock or top menu bar on start up

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bclvr123, Jun 24, 2009.

1. bclvr123 macrumors newbie

I just fired up an older mac g4 for the first time in over a year with a different monitor then I had before. The problem is that when booted up I cant see the dock or the menu bar at the top on the monitor. my finder window opens but I cant open any apps. Or if I do they don't show in the monitor. I have tried several diff monitors, same story. Any help would be appreciated.

2. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

What about changing screen resolution :confused:

3. bclvr123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Screen resolution

I would love to but I cant get to the menu to do that, there in lies my problem.
    I didn't know if there was something I could do at start up? If I open an app, it opens but I cant find it on the desktop.

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

This sounds like a monitor detection problem. If you can get to System Preferences somehow, go into Displays and tell it to detect displays. That should fix it.

5. bclvr123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Screen resolution

Thanks for the suggestions. There is just no way for me to get to any apps right now. I will try restarting or turn off turn on monitor again. On start up it says auto detecting monitor.

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

You can access apple menu with keyboard short cut, then hit down arrow 4 times, hit enter to bring up system preferences.