Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zizou's mac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
Hi guys

I have set up file sharing over my local network and previously I was able to see my pc computer over the finder on my mac and I even set up some printers to print wirelessly but something happened that I can't see the pc computer anymore on the finder I have tried to make a new local workgroup on the pc as I did on the beginning for file sharing over my network but it has been useless I still can't see the pc computer its really strange I still can print wirelessly but can't browse my pc computer over the network. Do someone have some ideas that could help.

thank you in advance :)

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
While in finder, select go -> connect to server.

and type in smb://[ip address of windows box]

yup that should work fine.

sharing the C drive should be enabled. my PC comes up fine in the finder on my computer, not so sure what went wrong with yours.

i would give your PC a static IP so that you know 100% of the time how to remote into it, i would check if the C drive (and or the specific folder you want to share) is still enabled.

zizou's mac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
Thank you the smb really work it was pretty easy, i still have a question can I make it appear automatically as it was before that each time I connect to the network it browse the computer with it??? thank you xD

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Thank you the smb really work it was pretty easy, i still have a question can I make it appear automatically as it was before that each time I connect to the network it browse the computer with it??? thank you xD

i think this is kind of a mac vs pc problem not completely recognising each other.

first, log out of your mac then log back in (restart if you feel it is necessary). this was it will send out new requests to see everything on the network, this could possibly make the PC re-appear.

if that doesnt work, restart the PC computer.

if that doesnt work, im out of ideas!

zizou's mac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
Nop it didn't work but maybe automator may help putting this automatically since my computer Ip is already written is only on putting ok on the window of connnect to server, well thanks a lot I really appreciate

cowmac

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2008
Network issues

Hey I wonder if you could help me.....

I'm not sure if this is similar or relevant in any way but i'm having some networking issues of my own.

I'm a total Mac newbie....I'm loving it so far but I can't seem to see any of the other PC's that are connected to my network. I have a new iMac running OS X 10.5.4 intel based.

My friend has a power book and that works with no problem. I can see the PC's and they can, in-turn, see the mac.

I have no idea what the problem is.......help is greatly appreciated.

thanks,

:apple:cowmac

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Hey I wonder if you could help me.....

I'm not sure if this is similar or relevant in any way but i'm having some networking issues of my own.

I'm a total Mac newbie....I'm loving it so far but I can't seem to see any of the other PC's that are connected to my network. I have a new iMac running OS X 10.5.4 intel based.

My friend has a power book and that works with no problem. I can see the PC's and they can, in-turn, see the mac.

I have no idea what the problem is.......help is greatly appreciated.

thanks,

ensure that the PC's your trying to connect to are sharing their hard drives. go to the C drive>right Click>sharing and security. you have to share at least one folder from in there otherwise you cant get onto anything.

the PC's wont always appear on the sidebar, so try conencting to them manually by hitting :apple:+K and typing in smb://ipaddressofpc . that should allow you to connect to the PC if ithas a folder that is being shared. to find out the IP (incase u didnt know) just open up command prompt and type 'ipconfig'.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
I have a question:

How does Bonjour come into this? Is Bonjour required on the PC for the Mac to see it? Or is it not an issue.

cowmac

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2008
ensure that the PC's your trying to connect to are sharing their hard drives. go to the C drive>right Click>sharing and security. you have to share at least one folder from in there otherwise you cant get onto anything.

the PC's wont always appear on the sidebar, so try conencting to them manually by hitting :apple:+K and typing in smb://ipaddressofpc . that should allow you to connect to the PC if ithas a folder that is being shared. to find out the IP (incase u didnt know) just open up command prompt and type 'ipconfig'.

Hey,

Thanks for the reply but that doesn't seem to help. The drive that I'm trying to access is already shared. it's an external HD. As I said the other Macs and PC's can access it or see it but I can't. Would this have anything to do with the newer Mac OS X and Vista? I tried the IP address smb thing aswell and that doesn't work.

I must be connected to the network because I'm using the internet wirelessly.

I'm confused.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Hey,

Thanks for the reply but that doesn't seem to help. The drive that I'm trying to access is already shared. it's an external HD. As I said the other Macs and PC's can access it or see it but I can't. Would this have anything to do with the newer Mac OS X and Vista? I tried the IP address smb thing aswell and that doesn't work.

I must be connected to the network because I'm using the internet wirelessly.

I'm confused.

nah this doesnt have anything to do with vista/leopard. it would have to do with your settings somewhere, youve just gotta figure out what it is!!

cowmac

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2008
nah this doesnt have anything to do with vista/leopard. it would have to do with your settings somewhere, youve just gotta figure out what it is!!

Hey, just incase anyone is interested...I figured out how to sort out my problem.

I managed to get my 2 iMacs to talk to eachother with the built in sharing devices. Then I downloaded and installed Bonjour from apple.com/bonjour on the PC.

It allowed the zero-configuration networking and so the two iMacs found it. To get the PC to see the macs i opened: system preferences>sharing>options and allowed the afp and smb sharing on my accounts.

I opened the network window on the PC and typed in the afp address it gives you (the address of your computer on the network) and hey presto, i have my network sorted!

Hope this can help someone else,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.