Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fourbin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2004
Philadelphia, PA
I am at a University and I am going through a linksys router that is then plugged into the school's network. When I am directly plugged into the network, the CAT5 directly into my Powerbook, I can see everyones shared music. However, through the router I can only see who is connected to the router or on its wireless. Is there any port forwarding or something I can do to see everyone through the router?

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
I'm pretty sure that Rendezvous, which is what iTunes uses to share libraries and playlists, only allows you to browse (and be browsed by) machines on the same subnet.

Putting a router between you and the school's network physically removes you from that subnet, so I doubt any port-forwarding would do the trick.

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
Edit: was beat to the punch. See below though.

You should have the ability to disable DHCP and let the router act only as a hub/AP instead. RTM of your router to figure out how to do this.

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
kingjr3 is correct. If you disable DHCP on your local router and let the school network supply the IP address for your machine/router, you should be good to go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.