Can't seem to edit or post some stuff.

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Sesshi, Nov 23, 2006.

1. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

No idea why or how but I don't seem to be able to preview/post or edit some messages. It's not a subforum issue as I can post a reply in one thread then not another. I can type the reply but it just seems to hang the server when I press Submit or Preview. Similarly with quick edit on some posts.

EDIT: I can now edit this too.

2. Sesshi thread starter macrumors G3

Sesshi

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Have you tried various browsers, i.e. Safari and Firefox and Opera?

4. Sesshi thread starter macrumors G3

Sesshi

Posting / preview problems occur under Windows (Firefox) and Mac (Firefox / Safari).

Editing problems occur under Mac (Firefox).

5. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

Do you have javascript enabled? Try clearing cookies and cache.

Maybe the admins put you on some special usergroup permission that disallows editing of your posts? :eek:

6. Sesshi thread starter macrumors G3

Sesshi

I can edit some posts... but not others. As I said it's not limited to specific subforums. I'll be able to edit one post in a subforum but not another.

The editing issue might well be a browser problem. Doesn't occur under Firefox or IE on Windows for sure. I don't know why I even bother using Macs to browse the web - fricken useless - perhaps I ought to change that habit. it's just that when I'm at home the MBP is the machine I tend to park myself in front of when viewing sites as I hang out here very often. Posting problem does however occur with both Windows and Mac. Rather odd.

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I edited my previous post with a Firefox 2 nightly for Mac. I'm not seeing the problems you are. Perhaps, you have a new plug-in which is interfering, something that you've applied to both Mac OS X and Windows?

8. Sesshi thread starter macrumors G3

Sesshi

Standard extensions (havent added any apart from the recommended British English dictionary).

And I can edit this post. :confused:

TEST EDIT: I don't know if this has anything to do with things but if I'm dribbling on quite a lot in a post, such as if I'm raging about Applecare or something else which usually gets on my wick which is almost inevitably Apple related these days, then I can't append to a post or post new posts. But there was a post on music software which I couldn't post either.

TEST EDIT2 for addition of text to edited post: I don't know if this has anything to do with things but if I'm dribbling on quite a lot in a post, such as if I'm raging about Applecare or something else which usually gets on my wick which is almost inevitably Apple related these days, then I can't append to a post or post new posts. But there was a post on music software which I couldn't post either.

9. Sesshi thread starter macrumors G3

Sesshi

OK - interesting symptom.

I was trying to add a third paragraph copied over from the second on the above post, and I can no longer edit.

10. Sesshi thread starter macrumors G3

Sesshi

Just adding another post with more or less the same text, trying to submit this without editiing.

I don't know if this has anything to do with things but if I'm dribbling on quite a lot in a post, such as if I'm raging about Applecare or something else which usually gets on my wick which is almost inevitably Apple related these days, then I can't append to a post or post new posts. But there was a post on music software which I couldn't post either.

I don't know if this has anything to do with things but if I'm dribbling on quite a lot in a post, such as if I'm raging about Applecare or something else which usually gets on my wick which is almost inevitably Apple related these days, then I can't append to a post or post new posts. But there was a post on music software which I couldn't post either.

11. Queso macrumors G4

Wierd. Have you trashed your cookies and browser prefs? And is it definitely only on the Mac that it's now happening?

12. Sesshi thread starter macrumors G3

Sesshi

Aha... OK, I think I've worked out the symptom.

If I try and post the above post with the third copy of the paragraph, then it fails. If I try and edit the existing post to add a third copy of that paragraph, then it also fails.

Edit: I've tried clearing everything, Firefox is up to date.