Can't seem to transfer Itunes from my PC to Mac...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ljump12, Jun 15, 2006.

1. ljump12 macrumors 6502

I set up the network so that i can transfer files to my Mac from my PC; and it works...

So then i went into itunes > EDIT> Preferances> Advanced > General> And changed the itunes music foler location to... \\192.168.1.101\Brian\Music\Itunes\Itunes Music, which it recognizes and lets me do... It worked some and said organizing and whatnot... but then i hit Advanced> Consolodate Library, and then it says it will do it blah blah, so then i hit Consolodiate and it comes up and says

"Copying Music Failed. The disk could not be read from or written to"

Copying individual files by dragging and dropping works though... so???

Thanks for any help!

2. janey macrumors 603

janey

Can you not dump all the iTunes support files into ~/Music?
    Or, import the xml file from the old installation to the new and consolidate?

3. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

Try this, assuming that you are starting from a blank iTunes library on your mac:

Set your itunes library back to it's default location on the mac.

Copy the contents of your Itunes Music folder from your PC to the iTunes Music folder on your PC (just use copy and paste or drag and drop)

Now, on your pc copy the iTunes library.ITL file and the library.xml file from your itunes folder and paste them in the same place on your mac, overwriting the files on your mac (back them up just in case something goes awry).

If you have your finder set to hide known file extensions, then delete the ".ITL" extension from the end of the itunes library.itl file. Otherwise leave it.

Now open itunes. Everything should be identical to how it was on your PC. No consolidation or anything else necessary. I just got a new Mac and this is how I transferred my library. Let me know if you have any problems.