Can't select printer!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Smileyguy, Dec 25, 2005.

1. Smileyguy macrumors 6502

Hello everyone,

Got a shiney new HP 1510 all-in-one this morning. I installed all the software on the CD, and followed the instructions perfectly. Once I had that done, I went into Printer Setup Utility, clicked 'Add', and selected 'USB' from the drop-down menu. Sure enough, the printer is there in black (not greyed text), but I can't click on it and select 'Add'. Can anyone help?

Thanks,

SG

2. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

3. Smileyguy thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, I've tried that a couple of times. The driver is still not bring found, and I still can't click on the printer to add it. This is a very, very odd problem it seems. Can anyone be of more help?

If I call for support, should I call Apple or HP?

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well, maybe the printer is already added. Please don't e-slap me if this is obnoxious, but some printers add themselves so you obviously can't add them again. Can you already print to it? :eek:

Also, have you followed this guide? :)

5. Smileyguy thread starter macrumors 6502

mad jew, varnit - thanks for the help. The printer definitley isn't there as when I try to print something from Word it says there are no printers. I've followed the guide from the Apple website to the tee. It seems to me that the problem is that the problem is in installing the drivers. I'm really not sure what to do.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, maybe try the latest drivers from HP. FWIW, HP Support will be far more helpful than Apple Support for this specific problem. :)

7. Smileyguy thread starter macrumors 6502

Tried it already mad jew - three times! Thanks for the suggestion though, your help in this matter is very much appreciated.

Does anyone know if there is anyway to manually check if the driver is properly installed? I can't see to find any folder in the System folder entitled 'Drivers', and when I go into the 'Printers' folder I get quickly confused. Essentially, what I'm wondering is that maybe if the installer isn't properly installing the drivers autmotatically, maybe there is some way I can manually drag them from the CD into a folder?

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

9. Smileyguy thread starter macrumors 6502

I still haven't resolved this problem. My first call to HP got me nowhere, and they're not open today to sort this out. There must be a way to fix this though. I'll repeat the basic problem - despite installing all the software and drivers for my printer, when I go to add it in the Printer Setput Utility, I am told the driver is not installed even though it is, and the printer is being recognised.

Please see the attached picture to find out exactly what I mean. Any suggestions would be hugely appreciated.

Attached Files: