Can't Send Mail

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dxm113, Jul 3, 2005.

1. dxm113 macrumors member

I can't seem to be able to send anything via Mail.app with my Gmail account, I'm using Mail 2.0 on 10.4.1. I keep getting an error message saying that smpt.gmail.com can't be reached on port 587 (which is specified by gmail). I've tried changing the outgoing mail port, and get the same message.

As per Mac Help, I've tired "pinging" smpt.gmail.com and get an error. I can connect to pop.gmail.com however.

Anybody have any idea what the problem is? I have configured the settings in Mail as per gmail's spec.

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Hard to tell without knowing the rest of your setup including internet connection, router and firewall details,

My guess is that you have installed, updated, reconfigured or otherwise implemented a firewall (in your machine, in your router or at your ISP) that is blocking the gmail port. Or maybe your ISP has done this for you with their configuration.

3. Linkjeniero macrumors 6502

You problem would be that the server's name is smtp.gmail.com, and not smpt.gmail.com

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Nicely spotted... :D

5. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

Im not sure if this helps, but with my gmail, you have to have it set to port 995 with the email application.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

995 is for the POP/SSL *incoming* server, not the SMTP *outgoing* server. 587 is the correct port for SMTP. Here is the GMail page: link

7. dxm113 thread starter macrumors member

you're right. . .I'm a moron. Maybe I need to go back to school and learn how to spell.

I changed to smtp, and works like a charm.

Sorry bout' that, but thanks for the help!

8. Switzermac macrumors regular

i had the same problem but it was thanks to a firewall

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

You had to make a firewall change to get e-mail to work? Really? What did you have to do?

10. poisoned hawk macrumors newbie

poisoned hawk

Here's a good one! I have a .uk.com address and its now blocked by the btinternet.com server as they say that they do not support second level domains

Anyone else had similar problems

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Too sad! :( Aren't addresses ending in either .uk.com or .co.uk very common in the United Kingdom, too?

12. Linkjeniero macrumors 6502

You're welcome. And don't be too hard on yourself; after all, I detected your mistake because I have trouble remembering the correct word myself, and have to look it up all the time ;).

13. poisoned hawk macrumors newbie

poisoned hawk

Yes .co.uk is very common .uk.com is common but good old BT will not allow it through their out going mail servers... because of spammers. The thing is I now have to send a header with all the out going emails tell the recipient not to reply to the sender email address etc.

Anyone got a work around for this? :(