Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bathplug

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
Do you think they will update it to allow this or not? kinda sucks no chat system in place.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
Do you think they will update it to allow this or not? kinda sucks no chat system in place.

This isn't the only thing missing from Game Center. At the moment you cannot see the trophies/achievements of others. You just see a number that doesn't really say anything. What I find interesting is that Game Center games are listed and are linked to the iTunes store directly, so that someone can buy the game.
It seems to me that Apple created the Game Center only to sell more games, and not compete with XBox Live. This is a shame actually and I hope they will improve it. As it is right now it doesn't make any sense.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK

My guess is that the idea of a free text messaging system between every iPhone and iPod touch customer out of the box terrifies Apple's carrier partners (specifically AT&T).

bartzilla

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2008

Kinda sucks that you can't delete game center if you're not interested, too, along with the other apps that apple ship by default that are a waste of space to some of us. Still at least with iOS4 I can create a folder named "trash" and move all the nonsense apps into it.

They'll either fix your chat issue next update or it'll be abandoned in favour of the next "oooh shiny" ideal for customers with short attention spans.

Gorki247

macrumors member
May 10, 2010
Bristol, UK
This isn't the only thing missing from Game Center. At the moment you cannot see the trophies/achievements of others. You just see a number that doesn't really say anything.
Yes, you can. You can check the leaderboards and compare achievements against your friends. What I also like is that you can start a game from within Game Center. That way I can move all compatible games in a folder and start them from within Game Center.

harrypotterkid

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2011
You can text and even call in game center with free game center app called GamePhone

Its brilliant but ur friends have to have it too for it to work:)

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
My guess is that the idea of a free text messaging system between every iPhone and iPod touch customer out of the box terrifies Apple's carrier partners (specifically AT&T).

iMessage would like to have some words with you.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Yes, watch the keynote.

iMessage is chat via your same iTunes account you have tied with GameCenter and all of Apple's other services.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Yes, watch the keynote.

iMessage is chat via your same iTunes account you have tied with GameCenter and all of Apple's other services.

You're wrong as it's not tied in with game center as you cannot message from game center via iMessage and you cannot message your Game Center friends via iMessage unless you have them as a contact on your phone already. Not everyone has people on their phone that are their friends on game center and only know people by their username, not their iTunes account.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
You're wrong as it's not tied in with game center as you cannot message from game center via iMessage and you cannot message your Game Center friends via iMessage unless you have them as a contact on your phone already. Not everyone has people on their phone that are their friends on game center and only know people by their username, not their iTunes account.

Quite.

Dragging up an old thread like this to point out iMessage is pretty pointless.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Quite.

Dragging up an old thread like this to point out iMessage is pretty pointless.

i didn't drag it up.....

also the guy had a point, you clearly stated Apple wouldn't do this and they have, be humble enough to just state you were wrong and move on rather than just insult the guy for bringing it up, i've done it before when people have done it without being petty...

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
i didn't drag it up.....

also the guy had a point, you clearly stated Apple wouldn't do this and they have, be humble enough to just state you were wrong and move on rather than just insult the guy for bringing it up, i've done it before when people have done it without being petty...

I didn't state anything of the sort:

Everything I said is 100% correct. Carriers make obscene markups on SMS. Any system that competes with them and costs the user virtually nothing is a threat.

I also did not say that you dragged up the thread.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
I didn't state anything of the sort:

Everything I said is 100% correct. Carriers make obscene markups on SMS. Any system that competes with them and costs the user virtually nothing is a threat.

I also did not say that you dragged up the thread.

you quoted my post, which meant you were replying to it. If you weren't saying it to me, why quote me?

your post was saying that, in response to the OP, that Apple would not offer a system like this. Unless you fancy backtracking more? :p

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
you quoted my post, which meant you were replying to it. If you weren't saying it to me, why quote me?

I quoted your post, responded (in agreement to your post) and then made a further point in my post.

It is against the terms and conditions of these forums to make consecutive posts to respond to different people.

your post was saying that, in response to the OP, that Apple would not offer a system like this. Unless you fancy backtracking more? :p

I did not say that Apple would not offer a system like this, I just said it was unlikely (in fact, I didn't even say that - it was merely implied). IMO iMessage is sufficiently crippled that it shouldn't pose much of a threat to carriers. You cannot possibly claim anything to the contrary, simple because I didn't write anything other than that. If my post from 2010 was repeated today, its meaning would still be 100% valid.

Last edited:

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
I quoted your post, responded (in agreement to your post) and then made a further point in my post.

It is against the terms and conditions of these forums to make consecutive posts to respond to different people.

Well you should have quoted his too or just made it clear, as it wasn't in your post. There's multiquote for a reason, or even just edit to add it, simple nettiqute really.....

I did not say that Apple would not offer a system like this, I just said it was unlikely (in fact, I didn't even say that - it was merely implied). IMO iMessage is sufficiently crippled that it shouldn't pose much of a threat to carriers. You cannot possibly claim anything to the contrary, simple because I didn't write anything other than that. If my post from 2010 was repeated today, it's meaning would still be 100% valid.

when read in context of the thread, your post reads as basically saying they won't do it. obviously the guy who brought this thread back up thought it, as did i. You're just backtracking now and i'm not replying to you on this point again as you just can't be humble enough to admit it.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
when read in context of the thread, your post reads as basically saying they won't do it. obviously the guy who brought this thread back up thought it, as did i. You're just backtracking now and i'm not replying to you on this point again as you just can't be humble enough to admit it.

I'll easily admit when I'm wrong, but let me put it this way. If I write:

The idea of a free text messaging system between every iPhone and iPod touch customer out of the box terrifies Apple's carrier partners (specifically AT&T).

What part of that is wrong at this very moment?

Some carriers forbid the use of IM etc. over their data networks. It's clearly a concern for them.

A statement like:

The carriers would never allow Apple to have a free messaging service in iOS

Would clearly have been wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.