Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bwatson23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2015
Hello all, this is my first post because I can't figure anything out.

Since the other day I have not been able to log into my messages or facetime on my iMac. I am running Yosemite 10.10.4 and cannot seem to figure out what to do.

Anyone else having this problem? Has anyone been able to fix it?

Thanks in advance for any replies, I'm totally lost.

roadkill401

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2015
I had the exact same problem, and it turned out that the issue was at Apples end. It was a new iMac bought from the refurb list. I think that someone had taken the apple SID or something like that and had black listed this apple iMac from connecting to both iMessage and Facetime. it took 5-6 days and escalating it to development and then they fixed it.

bwatson23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2015
OK, mines a couple of years old and I was just using FT/messenger the other day and now all of a sudden it doesn't work. How did you go about getting it fixed? BTW thanks for the reply.

roadkill401

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2015
The hard part is to isolate if it's the computer that is at fault, or if it's the account. Do you have another mac or apple device? If you do, then you can test your apple ID on the other device and if it works, then you know it's not your ID that is causing the issue.

Next, create a new test account on your imac. Then try loggin into iMessage or Facetime with your apple id but using the new test account. If that doesn't work, then what apple had me do was create a new clean install if Yosemite on my iMac. it was easy as I had the machine for the whole of 2 weeks when the issue started so there was virtually nothing installed. If that doesn't solve the issue, then it's in the hands of Apple, and the only option you have it to call them up and raise hell, as there is nothing you can do if your iMac is blacklisted from connecting to iMessage or Facetime

bwatson23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2015
Nothing I can do if blacklisted eh? I bought this used on eBay at Christmas and the messenger/Facetime worked up until literally last week, so I'm not sure what I did. I appreciate the response and I'm going to do the two things you suggested.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.