cant stand aqua

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Megaquad, Jun 27, 2002.

1. Megaquad macrumors 6502a

am I the only one who cant stand aqua?
    aqua is why i'm most of the time booted in 9.2.1
    first this are the few things i cannot tolerate:
    -light background..those stripes,they are KILLING me!!
    -OK,Cancel etc. buttons like this:
    [​IMG]
    should be replaced with those:
    [​IMG]
    i mean..ain't that search button beautifull?
    -scrollbars,they should be like that search button,and they should be darker when pressed!
    -scrolling,i want smooth,animated,scrolling like in windows! this is terrible! it is trouble to scroll with scrollwheel in osx,it 'beams' 3 lines down/up instead of 'travelling' line by line to the third line like in os9..
    -fonts! those menu fonts are too big,contextual menu fonts are too big!! i cant stand that anymore!
    i wont mention that those close/minimize/maximize buttons are annoying me,but noone's gonna listen to me anyway so i'm just gonna stick with Win XP theme..yeah yeah..kill me but it is far more usable then aqua,flash mx sucks without xp theme!
    now send some feedback to apple!

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

3. Geert macrumors 6502a

Geert

Dito!!!

4. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Double Ditto. Although I do like the iPhoto style buttons and think there will be a phase-in of those, though not totally

5. McFreggle macrumors 6502

McFreggle

I don't love it, but I don't dislike it either. Yes, it should be more functional and less aesthetic, I guess...

k.

6. Megaquad thread starter macrumors 6502a

ahh whatever..i still can't stand aqua
    i am not the only one..you all hate aqua!! admit it! :D

7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Nope! I really dont, it think it looks great!

8. iGav macrumors G3

I can't stand aqua either..... that's why I have it set to graphite...... :D

I'd still like Apple to give us a stripped down OSX setting, so that the thing doesn't take up some much memory...... also it's be much faster.... sometimes I need speed.... and lot's of it.......

9. Megaquad thread starter macrumors 6502a

did you ever try using entourage or icq under osx? its terrible!
    not to mention ircle and other apps...something needs to be done,fonts are too large!

10. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Yea, I use entourage 8 hours a day, and it is beautiful. Get over it. You don't like the pinstripes, install another theme with Duality. Aqua is the most beautiful, thoughtful interface that exists. Yea, there were scrolling issues with X, but X.1 fixed that, and X.2 is even better. Now, that being said, if you don't like the blue, go for graphite. Seriously, you are going to say that an Xp theme is better than aqua? Dude, don't understand this one at all.

Why would you want the fisher price look to your desktop? You like it that much, switch. Sheesh. What is the world coming to?:p

11. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Entourage, looks and is great. I really like it and use it all the time.

12. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I don't own m$ orfice, so I don't use it on my OS X system at home. ICQ is fine under OS X (THAT I do use).

As for aqua, everyone needs it... to stay alive. :D

I have my 'theme' set to the graphite colors, but still love the buttons and such...

OS X ROCKS!!!

13. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

Did you say XP? DID YOU SAY XP! DID YOU SAY XP!!?

You have go to be kidding me!

In the same breath you Diss the mest looking GUI on the planet and then choose the Ugliest one in the world as a replacement!

You have got to be kidding me!

Next time the brain killing loco juice is passed around, I think that you should pass on it. Or install a new theme as was suggested.

Sheesh....

I am more worried about getting the OS to remember freakin window views than this!

14. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I have to disagree here. Scrolling under windows is fast and smooth. Scrolling under OS X is slow and chuncky. I rarely even us my scroll wheel in OS X now. It's faster for me to mouse over and use the scroll bar. I'm using an MS intellipoint optical w/the latest drivers (for both OS's) if anyone cares. ;)

Lethal

15. Megaquad thread starter macrumors 6502a

luna sucks my a55! i dont even have decent browser!
    under os9 i survived somehow by switching between mozilla and IE but this is too slooowww! oh boy,i'm gonna made my own duality or something theme when jag comes out (just slight gui fixes) and i need those fonts fixed! i see text im not freakin blind,just make it smaller apple pleaseee!!!!

16. Megaquad thread starter macrumors 6502a

thats damn right! when you look at it...entire OS X is slow and chuncky!
    i have strange feeling it wont be fixed with jaguar either..
    my god,with celeron@400 mhz with rage pro 16 mb you can open wmp,music and visualization,and rip cd to mp3 at cca15x and you dont even feel it while surfing the web!!
    you all know what would it be like on the mac..

17. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

Themes...

Hopefully, Apple will include themes support into OS X.2 for those who aren't happy with Aqua.

Themes are great... When OS 7.x was unbearably ugly, I just slapped on a theme. Remember Kaleidoscope? After OS 8 came out it wasn't as bad, but Aqua is just beautiful and crushes any previous Mac OS interface.

As for me, I like Aqua more than any GUI from any other OS I've used.

18. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I find that the appearance of OS X is much better then windblows. Not only is it easier to navigate, it actually makes sense in how things are setup (for anyone familiar with the Mac OS at least).

Scrolling works close to the same in either windblows or OS X (it all depends on the mouse and drivers).

As for placing a heXPee theme on top of OS X, dude, you need to be SHOT! That would be like pouring catchup onto a filet mignon... :rolleyes:

19. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Dude, don't know what kind of Mac your running, but my iBook 600 and iMac 600 SE handle it fine. In fact, with 10.1.5, scrolling is as fast as it is in 9.2.2

Yea, you can do all of those things on a PC for about 1 minutes. Then BOOM. .dll error. Write buffer error. Vaildation error. That is just pure crap. Why not run photoshop on that celeron and lets see how it does. Oh, and Xp would run like a friggin pig on the celeron, and you know it. If you don't, well, XP will run like a friggin pig on that celeron.

20. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

That is IF it runs at all. :D Wonderful products made by MicroSofterThenASneakerFullOfPuppySh*t.

21. Megaquad thread starter macrumors 6502a

you need to be shot for irrational support for aqua! i didnt say i want to switch on xp!! i hate winblows,but i needed something to rest my eyes,i cant stand those white stripes my eyes are burning!!!!
    scrolling doesnt work same like on winblows! on windows scrolling is like i said smooth and animated,on osx i crappy!

22. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Yea really. A 400MHZ Celeron is a 66MHZ Bus with 66MHZ memmory. You ran XP on anything Mega? It is a pig. Huge, massively bloated piece. It really is. It is the ultimate spyware, and on top of that a really bad attempt to copy Aqua. Microsoft has never named an interface ever, other than Bob. Apple names Aqua, and they come back with Luna!!!!!

Aqua - Water, it gives life, it is fluid, smooth, easy to view and see. It is pleasent and warm to the senses.

Luna - The surface of the moon! WTF. Cold, weightless, barren, grey, dull, dusty. Think about it. That is like naming you **** mini me.

23. Megaquad thread starter macrumors 6502a

error my ass,i get more errors under os9 then under win98
    photoshop runs well on that celeron,at least better then on g3 350 mhz
    pc users have myths about macs,but you forget that mac users have more myths about peecees
    they dont crash that much,and crashing is not the reason i dont use winblows,i am sad that my pc friend can do so much more on his pc then I on my imac..
    not to mention flash mx! it flies on that poor celeron! it is terribly slow on my imac,not to mention flash animation
    dont get me wrong,i am still pc guy that switched to mac and is never coming back

24. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Listen, fool, I said "for placing a heXPee theme on top of OS X". Open your damned eyes and READ! sheeesh Do I say "to switch on xp"?? F*ck NO!

Scrolling inside of OS X is smooth, in the finder you can do as little or as much as you like. Since you DIDN'T mention WHICH scroll-mouse you have, it's hard to say, but I would venture to say the mouse is the crappy part (especially if it is an m$ mouse).

Aqua is NOT crap. You CAN customize it IF you want to through either changing the colors, or other 'hacks'. But to put something that makes it look like heXPee is just WRONG!

Before you put up another 'response' get your head out of your a$$ and think about it... :rolleyes: :p

BTW, you really should think about running some utilities on your poor little iMac (especially if you have the 350MHz and have never done it). There are some unix commands you can use to work on that. The other utilities can really liven up OS 9 on your supposed crash prone system. If you never ran them before, you only have yourself to blame for ALL of your iMac problems.