Can't Stand Spymac

Discussion in 'Mac Scene' started by el greenerino, Aug 25, 2004.

1. el greenerino macrumors regular

Am I the only one who thinks that Spymac is full of mac-bigots?

First of all,they act like Microsoft is the only company who buys-out the competition. But didn't Apple purchase Shake and Logic? And now they're adding Dashboard into Tiger to compete with Longhorn's built-in widgets.

Spymac forums are scary, I don't go beyond the galleries.

Macrumors users are much more level headed. We look at Apple's products objectively,discussing them in the Buyers Guide forum. And Macrumors doesn't fill the homepage with its own cheap products, bad hosting, and propoganda claiming Apple leads the industry in everything. I'm proud to be apart of this more civil forum that is Macrumors.

Opinions.

2. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

Sucking up can be fun, as long as the rewards outweigh the cost. :)

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I still visist the galleries now and again, but haven't been to the forums in a long time, MR is the best for that :D

4. webmatthijs macrumors member

the only thing i like about spymac is the galary. i never even tried the forums section.and since they upgraded the looks of the site its been a real nono for me too.

about a week ago i received an email saying a person hacked into spymac and got more then 10 000 emails adress at which he might keep sending scam or so.

5. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

The page takes way too long to load though it doesn't look too bad. I went there at first because of the 100mb of free webspace but it was too slow and it took forever to upload a file. I've haven't been to the site in aboutt 3 weeks.

6. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i used to like macrumors, but they don't have wheel, badass spy glasses, or computer cases with a guy on it. get with it people, spymac is better :p

iJon

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Go play in traffic with PowerJack.

8. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

hmm, and if it's sunny I can wear my spyglasses. oh boy, traffic hear i come.

iJon

9. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

yeah, best to save your suck-up juice for your girlfriend/boyfriend. :rolleyes: ;)

10. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I used to like Spymac, but it started to suck with 3.0 and has only gotten worse.

11. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Mac bigots and Microsoft haters? On a Mac board? Holy crap! My people, I must go to them...

12. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

I joined spymac about 6 months ago, and half the time i can't even check my mail! The service is lame. Also, I cannot get my homepage to change! i set it to spymac, and now no matter what i do, i cannot change it to something else! ...next time i reboot, spymac's crappy and slow web page starts to load. deleted my cookies and everything too. Bastages...

13. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

There are too many jerks at Spymac and their "3.0" is just so cluttered and ugly.

14. sorryiwasdreami macrumors 6502a

sorryiwasdreami

I like the overall look and feel of the site itself, even though it may seem overboard at times. I give props to the designers.

15. Benjamin macrumors 6502a

Benjamin

I know that feeling, and btw i also share the 1 million title but only at spymac, tho they stopped caring about community a while ago.

16. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

When it transitions from a hobby to a business, and making as many $'s as possible -- not many people really can hold things together durint the transition.

Many for-profit companies lose focus of the quality of the product when they start shaving costs and squeezing extra pennies out of the product.

Banks are excellent examples of this as they go from small-town credit unions to mega-banks.

As the banks grows, the chit-chat that made the bank feel like they care dies out -- and you begin to feel like that dude in the television commercial that has the barcode stapled to his head.

17. me_94501 macrumors 65816

me_94501

Cluttered, ugly, and the site's source code is an absolute mess!

18. Benjamin macrumors 6502a

Benjamin

I know i posted about the same thing a while ago @ spymac when a few ppl had left.

19. narco macrumors 65816

narco

I still visit the Spymac gallery and brush through the forums a bit, but for the most part, I think Spymac is more of a Mac site for younger people. I think the average age there is 14.

When I want to look at pictures of setups and other random things, I go to Spymac. When I want to have a serious discussion about Apple products, I come here.

.narco

20. Little Endian macrumors 6502a

Yes I do agree that the Average Age of Spymac users are 14. Spymac only interested me because of the free web hosting and email. I signed up about 4-5 months ago and only managed to get email to work about 3 times and the Web storage is slow and spotty.

21. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

It's ok, but I like this site better. Better layout, better forums, and more info. SpyMac lost all credibility years ago with the iWalk. They were positive it was coming out soon. One look at it and you could tell it was fake. They were worse than MacOSRumors. When they moved to more news and forums, it improved, but it still bugs me. This site may be filled with a lot of whiners, but I like having the dissenting opinions without the constant trolling.

Speaking of which, have you guys seen MacCentral lately? I used to like them a lot, now I hate it. It looks awful and wastes so much space. Apparently I'm not the only person that feels this way. When it changed there were a ton of people talking about how much it sucked and they hated it. Types of stories that used to have a ton of posts now have very few, if any. Guess people were serious about leaving.

As Mac users, we hold things up to a higher degree of standards, they both should know better.

As The Apple Turns is good though too. As is Accelerate Your Mac. I'm unemployed right now, I have no life.

22. zwida macrumors 6502a

zwida

AMEN!

I tried to let myself adjust to their new format before giving up on them, but after a week of that nonsense I gave up earlier today.

I've been reading that page since before it was a page (Macweek Magazine). As of this morning I dropped them from my bookmarks.

23. 7on macrumors 601

7on

lol, what was really funny was when they started the whole 1GB email thing. that's when they got lots of MS users on the site. lol, a few PC zealots are regulars on the forums.